Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Defying the Rules

Sorry about not posting yesterday. I spent most of it recovering from work (it’s kind of hard to type when your fingers hurt whenever you touch something. Darn soap allergy). Anyway, I’ve manage to edit this next part into something I’m willing to show now. It’s time for the next Race. Amy is about to do something defying. To the story!
********
“Are you ready for this?” Silver Fox asked her as they mingled beside their cars as the spectators filled the seats.

“I hope so,” Amy muttered, glancing around to make sure that none of the monitors focused too closely on her. It would be mortifying if her school friends found out about this. Especially if she didn’t even win the race.

“Don’t worry,” Silver Fox said, patting her on the shoulder. “You’re still in your first year of Racing. It would be a surprise if you win the Final your first year.”

“My Dad did,” she pointed out.

“Your dad is an exception,” the Racer concluded. “Though it would be pretty amazing if you managed to pull the same thing off.” She then paused, glancing around nervously. “Just don’t get too noticeable, alright?”

Amy frowned. “What do you mean?” she asked.

“RACERS!” an official said over the speakers. “TO YOUR CARS!”

Silver Fox waved goodbye and took off in a jog to her car. Amy continued to frown after her. What had she meant by that? Don’t get too noticeable?

However, she didn’t have much time to think about it as she got into Maxx. The racetrack was very different from the last one and not everyone had the same vehicle. Since this was the next series of races, the competition and skill they needed to win became more difficult.

The racetrack was all dirt and hills, going over miles. The spectators lined the track, though most were gathered around the starting/finishing line where there were still bleachers and large screens erected for the fans to watch. Again, Amy was shocked that they grew excited when watching something that they could barely see.

Putting her helmet on, she could hear Maxx making note of the other racers.

“Alright,” he said, “we have a few dirt bikes… A few sand buggies… More dirt cars like us…”

“Maxx,” she said, “you’re muttering.”

“I don’t mutter,” he argued.

“You mutter,” she stated simply. “Now…Our stagey is still on?”

“It’s a proven method,” he huffed. “You ready for this?”

“RACERS! START YOUR ENGINES!”

“I’m ready,” she said, gripping the wheel.

Orange.

Yellow.

Green.

She took off, the other Racers around her fighting to keep ahead of others. She took note that the favorites, the more experienced Racers, kept to the middle of the pack, just as she was. Her stagey wasn’t all that unique. As Maxx had said, it was a proven method.

It was much harder driving on dirt and hills. With each bump, she flinched, glad that Maxx wasn’t going to get hurt from all the jumping that they were doing. If anything, she was the one who would be hurt from this. She had bruises after some of her training sessions when Maxx would come out without a scratch.

“And SILVER FOX TAKES THE LEAD!”

The commentator’s voice bellowed in her ear. Amy flinched. So, the leaders were starting to break out of the pack. Time she did the same.

“Alright, Maxx,” she breathed, pushing her foot down on the gas as they drove up the side of a hill. “Time to join the leaders.”

“Don’t need to tell me that,” Maxx huffed. However, his engine whined at the effort to climb the steep hill, struggling to pick up speed. Around them, the other Racers tried the same, some of them starting to fall behind.

Reaching the peak, she continued to push Maxx faster, gaining speed with the aid of gravity. A quick glance told her that there were no curves for her to worry about to slow down for.

However, there was something a bit more worrying.

“Great,” she muttered. The Circuit had laced the last leg of the race with numerous smaller hills. A dirt car like Maxx would have a hard time maneuvering through I without tipping over. Perhaps choosing a dirt bike, while silly for the first part of the track, would have fit for this part.

“Aims,” Maxx said. “There’s a car’s path on the outside of the track,” he pointed out. Amy glanced ahead, noticing that Silver Fox, also in a car, had used the path that Maxx suggested. So, there was a way for a car to go through without tipping over driving over those smaller hills.

“Good,” she muttered. “We’ll go there.” Slowing Maxx just enough to change direction, she focused on the single path left for cars, hoping to get there before another car got there.

But she wasn’t the only one to notice the path. As soon as she reached the beginning of the path, another car was there, trying to beat her to it. She gritted her teeth as he came up beside her, trying to beat her there. She focused on making Maxx faster, trying to…

BANG! SCCCRREEECHHH!

Amy struggled to keep Maxx from grinding on the railing. The other car kept pushing on her, forcing her to the railing. The spectators were quick to move out of the way, just in case she was forced off the track.

“Amy!” Maxx warned.

“What?” she asked, glaring at the other Racer. While it wasn’t against the rules to drive another Racer off the track, this was just mean. She could be seriously hurt from this!

“Don’t you see where we’re going?” Maxx demanded.

Amy tore her eyes away from the other Racer and finally noticed what lay ahead for them.

It was a hill, steep and way too small for Maxx. The path that they had been following swerved for a moment away from the railing to avoid the hill. The other car would have the perfect chance to run her off and still get away. The other Racer must of noticed, because he continued to push her against the railing.

“We’re going to crash!” Maxx exclaimed. “And…” He stopped talking. Amy felt her blood run chill.

“We might not walk away from it,” she breathed.

“I’m sorry, Amy,” Maxx said, the hill getting closer. “I tried.”

Amy didn’t say anything, the enormity of the situation slowing the world even further. No, this couldn’t be happening. She had to survive. She had to win the race.

She wasn’t going to let the Race Circuit take her life as well.

Suddenly, she knew what to do.

“Maxx,” she said.

He knew immediately what she was planning.

“Amy!” he yelled. “NO!”

“Dirt bike!”

Engaged in her Talent, the crack of his change slowly erupted in her ears.

CCCRRR…

Around her, Maxx started to glow, his shape shifting around her. Amy felt the chair around her change to a hard seat beneath her.

AAACCC…
The steering wheel morphed in her hands. It felt a lot like play dough. Spreading her hands apart, she readied herself for the bike that Maxx was about to be. She leaned forward, placing her feet on the newly formed pedals between her seat.

CCCCC….

The car around her was gone, the bike beneath her nearly formed.

KKKK!

Maxx was no longer the car. He was a dirt bike, motorized and completely shock proof. They didn’t have to worry about being jarred over every bump now. She wasted no time for wonder and put on an extra bit of speed. The Racer who had tried to run her off suddenly slammed into the railing. Amy didn’t bother turning back to see the wreckage she knew was there. She focused on the hill, driving up it and down the other side. The other Racers didn’t notice her transformation and kept their goal for the finish line.

“Amy…” Maxx breathed in her ear. “That was… How did you do that?”

“You enhance my Talent, Maxx,” she said, still unsure how she did it. “I’m not going to have the Circuit kill me with my own Talent. Come on! Let’s win this Race!”

She had the impression of Maxx grinning. “Let’s do this!”

She wove through the Racers, now using Maxx’s ability to sneak through even the smallest of spaces. The dirt started to clear as she reached the leaders, leaving the other Racers now in her dust.

“Come on, Maxx!” she said, noticing that both Bluebird and Silver Fox were also breaking out of the pack. “Let’s win!”

Bluebird and Silver Fox were still in their cars, creating enough dust to obscure the view of the other Racers. Amy took her chance, pouring her energy into Maxx to go faster. It didn’t matter anymore if she just got into the top five. She might have just broken some rules. She had to win the Race now.

“There’s the finish line!” Maxx told her. “You’re in the lead! Take it!”

“Don’t need to tell me twice,” she said, putting on another burst of speed. The end of the track was fast approaching, no one was even close to her. She focused on the banner ahead of her, only taking her eyes off of it when she reached it.

“AND THE WINNER IS RACER AIMS!!!”

She slowed to a stop, the world once again returning to their normal speed. She was immediately surrounded by officials, fans, and mechanics, all of them talking too fast and too many for her to understand. However, above the din, she could still hear the commentator.

“What an amazing Race here today, folks! Racer Aims started this race in a car and ends up finishing on a bike! I think that today we’ve witnessed a change in the Races!”

“A change indeed,” Maxx said, his tone full of wonder. “I’ve never known that a Racer could change their program while still in it!”

Amy shrugged, noting that her face was displayed on the screen. So much for anonymity.

“Racer Aims!” people yelled, trying to get her attention, but Amy couldn’t care less. She had won the Race, she was off to the next series.

She was one step closer to retirement.
**********
Jay had been amazed before by Racer Aims, but after the race, he knew that she was more than just amazing. She was something special. Something worth more than casual teasing.

So it came to be a bit of a surprise when Williams asked for a private meeting with him the day after the race.

Jay went to the banker’s home, wondering of all the things that had happened in the last twenty-four hours. The Circuit argued for a while about whether to allow Aims to keep her win or not. It was eventually decided that she could. After all, she didn’t break any rules. She just did something that no one thought was actually possible.

Because of her performance, other Racers tried the same trick of changing their vehicles while in them and the results were the same. Racers could change their programs while they were inside. Because of this, the Circuit now argued about the rules concerning this ability to change. Some argued that it should be illegal, while others insisted that it now be required for Racers do to so. Jay personally thought that it should be up to the Racers what that rule should be.

And through all this, Aims kept aloof of everyone. Even from her own Sponsor’s associate. It was almost as if she didn’t want people to idolize her.

I wonder why Williams wants to see me, he thought as he waited in a library for the banker to arrive. The message Williams had sent him via email was short and left no room for arguments. The banker wanted to see him and that he had better come quick. Of course, Jay was curious why the message was sent.

What did Williams have up his sleeve this time?

Jay wandered around the library, impressed by the man’s collection. Many old books and classic works were there. He noted with some interest that the majority of the books were about Talents. While Williams wasn’t Talented himself, he associated with a number of them and worked closely with others. It wasn’t a secret that he was fascinated with the lot of them.

The door opened.

Jay turned to the door, not surprised by the man who wheeled in. Williams was a much older man, confined to a wheelchair. Though he was confined, Williams didn’t allow anyone to push him around, choosing instead to wheel himself. The old man had sparse white hair and age spots covering his skull. The skin drooped off his bones and his movements were just a bit jerky.

However, the light in his blue eyes betrayed that his mind was still fit as ever.

“Jay Torgenson,” Williams said, smiling. “It’s nice that you could see me on such short notice.”

Jay smiled back and shook the man’s withered hand. “And miss a chance to meet a great man? I don’t think so.”

“Charmer,” Williams chuckled. “But you know that I asked you here for a reason.”

“Well,” Jay admitted. “It must be important. You work mostly through your associates now. To see me in person, asking me to come here to meet you in person, then it must be big.”

“Obviously,” Williams agreed. “Please, sit.” Jay sat down at one of the tables as the old banker wheeled over.

“Now,” Williams said, seeming a bit worn. “Something happened yesterday, something that put young Aims on the wrong sort of radar.”

Jay frowned. “What?” he asked. “I wouldn’t say that. She’s now a favorite to win the Final.”

“And that’s the problem,” Williams sighed. “I’m afraid that I’m so far removed from the rest of the world now because of my health that I cannot protect her as much as I would like. So I must pass on her contract. I’d like to sell it to you.”

Jay blinked in surprise. “Sell me Aims’s contract?” he repeated. “Why?”

“I originally bought her contract because I wanted to make sure that she wouldn’t be used by the Circuit,” Williams confessed. “I didn’t want her to be used like her father. However, I’m afraid that she’s gotten the wrong sort of attention now with her stunt. I cannot protect her. You must.”

“Protect her from what?” Jay asked, feeling as if the old man was talking in circles.

“You’re a bright lad,” Williams went on, as if he didn’t hear his question. “You know things aren’t always what they seem. Aims is going to need an ally while she’s in the Circuit. She needs someone of your skills, experience, and connections.” He paused, boring into him with his stern gaze. “I picked you, from among many Sponsors, to help Aims because I know that you will.”

Jay didn’t say anything. He knew what the old man was implying.

“Your mother gave you a rare and precious gift,” Williams said softly. “I know that you will protect Aims. Do you want her contract or not?”

Jay forced himself to smile, to cover his uneasiness.

“We have a deal.”
***********
Amy dreaded going to school the Monday after the race. Not only was she the winner of the race, but she had also done it in such a way that history would remember her as the first Racer to have ever changed vehicles during the race. Of course her face was all over the news, papers, and the internet. There was no way that she could keep going through classes as normal “Amy McPeir” again.

“If you’re dreading it so much,” Maxx said to her as she drove to school, “then why not skip the classes?”

“I worked too hard to get into those classes,” she argued. “I’m not going to skip classes merely because they know about my Talent.”

“I’m surprised that the Circuit is allowing you to keep going,” Maxx added thoughtfully as she drove into the parking lot. “Wasn’t one of your agreements state that you wouldn’t tell them that you’re a Racer?”

“Yes,” she admitted, quickly finding a spot to park. “But it also said that if my classmates find out because I win races or something like that, then I can keep going to school and suffer the consequences of it.”

“You’re crazy,” Maxx said.

“And you enhance that,” she rebutted. “I’ll see you after classes.”

He sighed. “I await your return with breathless anticipation.”

“You don’t have breath,” she pointed out as she got out.

“My point exactly.”

She slammed the door shut. “Obnoxious!”

“Crazy!”

Amy couldn’t stay mad at Maxx. He was only trying to cheer her up by having an argument. Chuckling, she patted his roof and made her way to class. She had purposefully came early to classes, hoping that she could find a place to hide for a bit before the students came and started to stare at her.

The only problem with that plan was that there were already several of her classmates there waiting for her.

Amy froze when she caught sight of them and they of her. They immediately stopped talking, staring at her with something close to suspicion.

“Amy!”

She turned around, finding both Natalie and Aaron rushing up to her. She was a bit surprised to see them both smiling.

“You’re a Racer!” Natalie squeaked, grabbing her in a tight hug. “No wonder you worked weekends!”

“Wow,” Aaron said, grinning in his usual way. “I’m impressed. A Racer and going to the Chemistry Academy. You must have a thing for pain.”

She merely scowled at him. “You know,” she said, “Maxx says the same thing.”

“Maxx…” Natalie muttered, as if she were trying to remember who he was. “Isn’t that…”

“Your car?” Aaron finished.

“Yep,” Amy admitted. “He talks all the time.”

“Do not,” Maxx said to her. She chuckled softly, seeing the confused looks on the faces of her friends. They couldn’t hear Maxx since his physical self was outside. However, that didn’t stop him from talking to her from inside her head. It made for some very interesting conversations.

“Wow,” Natalie sighed dreamily. “It must be fantastic to be Talented…” She paused, glancing briefly at Aaron then her. “You know… In our small group, I’m the only one not Talented.”

“Don’t worry,” Aaron said, patting the girl’s shoulder. “It’s over rated anyway.”

“Agreed,” Amy added. “If I could have my way, I wouldn’t be Talented.”

Someone snorted behind them. Turning around, they saw the other students listening in on their conversations. One of them, a boy whose name Amy couldn’t remember, was glaring at her.

“What?” she asked.

“You don’t want to be Talented?” he asked, scowling. “It’s a gift, a blessing! And you don’t want it? I bet you use your Talent so much that you would be completely lost without it.”

“Doubt it,” she said blandly. “I almost never use it unless I’m Racing.”

He snorted again. “Really?” he asked. “I bet you use your Talent to cheat. A quick look at your notes and no one would ever know.”

This time, Amy snorted. “You forget. My stuff is locked up during the test.” The other students muttered among themselves. It was always an interesting rumor about why her things had to be locked up during the tests. “And you think that the video our class during tests so the teacher can have fun watching us again?” she continued, growing perhaps more bold than wise. “They do it so that they can slow the recording down and see if I’m cheating anyway.” She scoffed. “They make sure I don’t cheat.”

The students looked decidedly uncomfortable again and backed off. The boy who had spoken up sulked away, properly chastised for his outburst.

“That’s a lot of suspicion that they put on you,” Aaron noted.

“And a lot of bother to make sure you don’t cheat,” Natalie added.

Amy shrugged. “I had to go through a lot to get them to agree to let me come. I want an education, even if my Talent was Speed. I was willing to do almost anything.”

“Noticed,” Aaron commented. Suddenly, he grinned again. “Could you tell us more about the Race? It was amazing!”

Amy sighed. Even though it looked as if her friends weren’t going to shut her out, they were still going to be interested in the Races.

As she went through classes, Amy caught the glances in her direction, the pointed fingers, the whispering. Even upper classmen took note of her. There were even a few brave souls who asked for her autograph. Amy tried to let all of the attention slide off her, but, by the end of the day, she found herself annoyed with it.

I’m just a regular person, she thought to herself as she left her last class. And there are plenty of Talented here. I’m not that unusual.

But she was unusual. Chemistry wasn’t her Talent.

At last, the day was over and she was packing her bag to leave.

“Question,” Natalie said, also packing her bag. “If you’re a Racer… What do you drive to school?”

Amy blinked in surprise. “You’ve seen what I drive.” She really didn’t want people know to know that she drove Maxx to class.

“Yeah,” Aaron teased. “Like a Racer would drive a clunker to school. Seriously, isn’t that your program?”

Amy scowled. How was it that everyone knew about the computer chips that they implanted into the Racers’ brains?

“Yes,” she finally answered with a sigh. “It’s my program. I just transform him into a clunker so he wouldn’t stand out.”

“Your program is a he?” Aaron asked as they walked out of the classroom.

“His name is Maxx and he has a very masculine voice,” Amy said matter of factly. “I suspect that he’s male.”

“Can we see him?” Natalie asked. They walked out of the building and she hesitated.

“You’ve seen him…” she started to say.

“As a clunker,” Aaron pointed out. He grinned. “Come on. I’d love to actually meet him.”

“Me too!” Natalie sighed.

“Come on,” Maxx said in her head. “I’d like to show off for once.”

She sighed. “Outvoted,” she grumbled. “Come on. I’ll introduce you to Maxx.”

She didn’t join her friends’ excited conversation, dreading this. It was bad enough to have everyone staring at her during classes. Now people would probably wait for her to show up so that they could see Maxx.

After all, he was the flashy one.

“Hey, if you’re dreading it so much,” Maxx suggested, “how about I come to you? Get this over with?”

“Fine,” she muttered. “You love to spin your wheels anyway.”

Maxx laughed and she could hear him rev his engine.

“Well?” Aaron asked. Amy had stopped on the sidewalk before the parking lot, waiting for Maxx to show up. “Where are you parked?”

“Why would I need to find him?” she asked, noticing as he drove up. “When he always comes to me?”

Maxx arrived, still in his clunker form.

“Woah,” Natalie said, her eyes wide. “He just drove up by himself?”

“I am alive,” Maxx said, surprising her friends by talking. “Just because I’m a computer program, that doesn’t mean that I’m not able to think for myself.”

“And give me sarcastic remarks,” Amy added fondly. Despite that she didn’t like showing Maxx off to her school friends, she was happy he was there. Somehow, he managed to combine the world of Racing to the world of school.

“That’s because you’re sarcastic back,” Maxx huffed.

“Woah,” Natalie said again, her eyes wide. “He’s amazing!”

“Why, thank you!” Maxx said proudly.

“Yeah,” Amy agreed, smiling a bit. “Just don’t praise him too much. It might go to his head.”

“It will not!”

“Whatever,” she scoffed. “Well, I’ll see both of you tomorrow.”

“But there aren’t any Races on Monday,” Aaron started to say.

“I just got into the next series,” Amy pointed out. “I’ve got to train. And besides, they’re likely going to be announcing the new rule about changing our vehicles mid race. I’d like to know what those rules might be.”

“Yes,” Maxx agreed. “We should be going.” His door opened. “Shall we?”

She paused, thinking it over. “Maxx,” she commanded. “Speed bike.”

Crack!

The clunker changed into a sporty looking speed bike, not as big as a motorscycle, but large enough to ride around the city. Her friends gasped in shock and took a step back. Their surprise was understandable. It was a bit hard to believe that a vehicle could change so easily.

“See you tomorrow!” she said, putting on her helmet. She mounted Maxx and drove off, finally feeling good about being both Racer and college student.

She could do it.
**************
The rules are changing and the world is about to become more dangerous. Until next week, enjoy the journey!

No comments:

Post a Comment