Welcome to The End. The books I’ve been planning for over eleven years now has come to its conclusion. I’ve laid it out for the world to see, to be enjoyed by friends, family, and strangers alike. It’s been quite a ride to get here. And to all my readers, thank you for reading. I wasn’t sure if anyone would be interested in this story, but it seems that I’ve got at least a few fans. I hope you’ve enjoyed this.
And don’t forget to keep an eye out on this blog. I’m not done writing, not by a long shot. I’ll need to do another Camp NaNo before I post anything (I’m thinking March), and I’ll be showing that to the world as well. I haven’t decided yet which story line I’ll pick (kinda leaning towards Dawmeria Soul. Completely rewritten, I’ll have you know). I’d love to see if I can write up magic again.
Enough of my meandering finger tapping! To the conclusion!
*************
Queen Abigail bit her lower lip, uncertain what to do.
“It’s wonderful news,” Shay said, his arms still filled with paper. “Your husband is alive! King Jonathan is returning. He should be here in three days! The entire city is getting ready for his return.”
“But my son is still in a coma,” she whispered. “I’m overjoyed that Jon’s coming home… But I have Martin here, close to death.” She shook her head. “No doubt my husband has heard the news now, both of Martin’s existence and how he might now die. How am I supposed to react?”
Her Jonathan couldn’t have picked a worse time to be found alive. While she knew it was the plan for the king to return after they had won the war, she couldn’t help thinking that he could have at least waited a few days to hear news about how the war ended before being ‘rescued.’
“I hadn’t thought about that,” Shay muttered, his eyes downcast. “Is there anything I can do?”
The door burst open.
“Mom!” Sara yelled, skidding to a stop at her desk. The princess looked shocked. “Dad’s alive!”
“So I’ve heard,” Abigail sighed, grinning. “He’ll be home in a couple of days.”
“Great!” Sara laughed. “He’ll be excited to be home, I bet! We’ll have a big dinner and….” She stopped, her face paling. “Martin,” she whispered.
“I know,” Abigail sighed. “I don’t know what to do.”
The three of them stared at the ground in silence. What could they do? Abigail suddenly felt very lost. Even if she did already know her husband was alive, that didn’t change anything. He would be coming home to a son who was in a coma.
It really sucked the joy out of what should have been wonderful news.
“Perhaps Martin will wake up,” Sara suggested hopefully, using an uneasy grin to mask her nervousness. “Healer Smith said that a poison can’t last forever.”
“Forgiveness,” Shay said softly, “but it’s been a week. He hasn’t shown any signs of waking up.”
“I’m afraid that I’m going to have to side with Shay,” Abigail sighed. She rubbed her eyes. She felt so tired, so exhausted. The last week had been one of the hardest of her life. The Venter army was finally moving out, taking with them the remains of the Mad General back to his estates in Venter.
Even beyond the grave that man is tearing my family apart, she thought bitterly. All she wanted was her family to be whole again.
There was a polite knock at her door.
Glancing up, she saw a guard standing in the door Sara had left open.
“Yes?” she asked wearily. “What is it?”
The man bowed, his face split in a large grin. “He’s awake.”
Sara bolted out the door.
Abigail stared at the man, unable for a moment to comprehend what he was saying. “He’s awake?” she repeated. Then she recognized the man. He was one of the guards at Martin’s apartment. “He’s awake!”
She almost knocked both Shay and the guard over as she raced after her daughter.
Martin was awake!
She followed in Sara’s hurried path, servants trying to recover after the princess barreled through. They were quick to get out of her way as well. After a moment paused, they all realized what it meant for both the princess and the queen to be running at such a hurried pace. Soon, she had servants running after her.
No one bothered to keep the servants from entering the Santer apartments. The news had spread quickly and everyone wanted to confirm it for themselves.
Six guards were at Martin’s apartment, trying to keep people back. Sara tried to shove her way through the crowd, but she made very little progress.
Abigail knew a way around this.
“EVERYONE!” she yelled, her voice surprising many. “BACK OFF!”
A path cleared for her immediately.
Sara took her chance and managed to get past the guards and into the apartment. Abigail wasn’t too far behind.
Surprisingly, no one was in the apartment. The guards must have kept everyone back to give the prince some privacy. She barely noted it as she darted into her son’s room.
Martin was sitting up in his bed, talking with his friends. Sona sat close to his side, her arm wrapped around his.
“Martin!” Sara screamed, hurtling into the room, jumping on the bed, and hugging him tight. “You’re awake!”
“Gak!” the prince said, flinching as his sister hugged him even tighter. “Yes. So I’m told…”
“Sara,” Sona laughed, “you’re crushing him!”
“Don’t tell me you didn’t,” Sara huffed, finally releasing him and grinning. “Oh, boy! You are in so much trouble!”
“Trouble?” he asked, frowning. “What did I do?”
“You caused us to worry,” Abigail answered, slowly walking to the bed. “That’s what you did.”
Her son half smiled. “Sorry about that,” he said, Sona slowly moving aside for her to come to his side. “I’ll try not to do that again.”
“You’d better not,” she warned. Then she bent down and hugged him.
And he finally hugged her back.
“I’m so glad you’re alright,” she whispered, tears coming to her eyes.
“Thanks…” He paused. “Mom.”
Abigail hugged him all the tighter.
Now her son was truly home.
*********
A healer had to come examine him before Abigail would allow her son to leave his bed. Once the healer had arrived, they were all thrown out of the prince’s room to wait. Thomas tried listening in at the door, but shook his head after a minute.
“Martin has his powers back,” he sighed. “He sound proofed the room.”
“Then we’ll just have to wait,” Abigail said, getting comfortable in a chair by the fire. “In the meantime, how about you tell everyone outside the apartment that Martin’s awake.”
“I’d rather wait for the healer to tell everyone,” Thomas grumbled, plopping down next to the door. “That way everyone will know that he’s fine.”
“I wouldn’t worry too much about it,” Sona chuckled, curled at the end of a couch. “Public speaking isn’t that bad.”
“Would you like to tell them?” the duke challenged.
“I’m just his lady,” Sona responded, shrugging. “I shouldn’t make such an announcement.”
“Martin hasn’t proposed?” Sara asked, leaning over the back of the couch.
“No.”
Sona refused to explain her short answer.
Abigail shook her head. “We’ll wait for the healer,” she decided. “It’s best if the news comes from him anyway. That way, the people will believe it as truth.”
“Good, because it is.”
They turned. The healer walked out of the prince’s room, looing a bit miffed.
“Something the matter?” Abigail asked, standing up with worry.
“He won’t stay still!”
“Of course I won’t,” Martin scoffed, leaning against the door. “I have things I want to do.”
“They’ll wait,” the healer snapped. “Back into bed! You need your rest!”
“I’ve been in that bed for a week!” Martin protested. “I want to move!”
“Bed!”
“Come on, Martin,” Thomas said, taking his friend by the forearm. “Do as the healer says.” He paused then grinned. “Or at least wait until he’s out of sight and then get up.”
“BED!”
The duke led the prince back into his room, the two of them chuckling.
“Your Majesty,” the healer pled, “please have someone watch him and make sure he stays in bed until at least tomorrow. He needs his rest.”
“I’ll make sure he stays in bed,” Abigail promised. “Now, I have a favor to ask of you. Will you talk with the mass of people just outside, waiting to hear the news? A man of your integrity should keep people from spreading ugly rumors.”
“Of course,” the healer said, bowing. “I am used to announcing the health of public officials.” He took a deep breath and opened the door. Behind it, servants, nobles, and others crammed their heads to look inside, hoping to catch a glimpse of the prince. The healer closed the door, shutting the noise out.
“We’ll take turns watching him,” Abigail suggested to them. “I’d prefer it if someone he knows keeps him in bed. Who’ll go first?”
“I will!” Sara offered.
“You can’t,” Abigail said. “You have duties to preform today, remember?”
“Bah!” Sara brushed off. “Sitting through another luncheon with petty nobles is nothing compared to my brother.”
“I’d rather you were at the luncheon,” Abigail said firmly. “I want you to spread the news among them that you’re brother is awake and is doing fine.”
“Fine,” Sara muttered, plopping down in a chair. Then she grinned. “At least I get to see their faces when they first hear the news. Nick is going to be so mad!”
“Thomas and I can watch him,” Kriste offered.
“As can I,” Sona added. “I’ve been doing it all week.”
“Very well,” Abigail said, grinning. “I should go myself. There’s a lot to prepare.”
***********
It was well after dark when Thomas and Kriste left. They spent a very pleasant day talking. It was like old times, with teasing and laughter. Martin got stronger with each hour, able to sit up and then to stand. By the end of the day, he managed to walk around his apartment twice.
“Don’t work too hard,” Thomas warned him as he and his wife got ready to leave.
“Yeah,” Kriste chuckled. “We wouldn’t want the healer to get after you for not following his orders.”
Martin shrugged. “I’m not good at following orders.”
“Ha!” Thomas laughed, clapping his friend on the shoulder. “Isn’t that the truth. We’ll see you tomorrow, alright?”
“Until tomorrow then.”
Sona waited for them to finally leave before sneaking her way under Martin’s arm. She nuzzled her nose on his neck, holding him tight.
“I’m so glad you’re back,” she whispered, his arms likewise wrapping around her. “I was so worried.”
“I know,” he whispered, lightly kissing her hair. “I’m sorry.”
“You should be,” she muttered, unable to keep from smiling. “You stupid idiot.”
He chuckled, squeezing her. “Let’s go outside.”
“Outside?” she asked, pulling away a bit. He shrugged.
“I’ve been inside all week. I’d like to go out.”
“You were unconscious until today,” she pointed out. “You can’t remember being inside all week.”
“Humor me.”
Sona laughed. “For you, my love,” she said, letting him lead her outside. “Anything.”
It had turned cold as the winter winds began to gather. Shivering, she wondered why he wanted to come out. But he had and she wanted to be with him.
“Oh,” he sighed, sitting down on a bench. She sat beside him, snuggling next to him for warmth. “Perhaps we should have stayed inside.”
“We’re out,” she said, resting her head on his shoulder. “We can be out here for a few minutes.”
“Hum.”
He sounded thoughtful. “Martin,” she whispered. “Are you alright?”
“I’m awake, aren’t I?”
She shook her head. “That’s not what I meant and you know it. You just went through a week of reliving your worst memories. Are you alright?”
He didn’t answer for a minute, rubbing her arm. “I did experience the worst all over again,” he said softly, resting his cheek on the top of her head. “But… None of that matters now. All that really matters is what I can do for Aeterna.” He chuckled softly, lightly kissing her head. “And that’s the end of it.”
“Hm,” she said, smiling. That was her Martin.
“You know,” he said after a minute. “The war is finally over.”
Sona felt her heart skip a beat. He slid down to the ground and faced her on one knee. She quivered with excitement as he took her hands.
“You made me wait until after the war to ask this,” he said, his expression serious. “I will not wait any longer. Sona Merette, love of my life and light of my heart, will you marry me?”
Her heart jumped into her throat. Unable to say anything, she nodded. “Yes,” she finally squeaked, smiling so much it hurt. “Yes, yes, yes!” She laughed and threw herself at him, wrapping her arms around his neck. “Yes!”
Martin laughed with her, returning her hug with fervor. She didn’t want to let go of this moment, of him. It was too perfect.
“I have something for you.”
Unwilling to let go, she pulled back enough for him to reach into his pocket. He pulled out a simple silver ring with a blue jewel set in.
“I’m told this is a temporary Connection,” he said, removing one of her arms from around his neck and putting the ring on her finger. “It’ll become your Connection once we’re married.”
Sona stared at the ring, a bit surprised. “I thought only Santers could have Connections,” she said, taking a closer look at the ring. Now she could take in the details in the soft moonlight. A leaf pattern decorated the band and the jewel seemed like a flower.
He shrugged. “Once I had intentions to marry you, this ring showed up in my rooms. Aeterna said that it wanted to keep you safe.” He smirked. “It seems to think that I won’t put up with anyone else.”
“As well you shouldn’t,” she teased, cupping his face in her hand. One of the first things he did when he woke up was shave. “I wouldn’t put up with it.”
He laughed and pulled her in again. Sona held him tight, knowing that no one would ever have him but her.
*********
Martin woke up the next day feeling even better than before. Shortly after he had proposed to Sona, his mother and sister came in to check on him. They were ecstatic when they saw the Connection on Sona’s finger and knew exactly what it meant. Sara had tried to hug them both when she saw it.
Late into the night, they talked of the marriage. No details were finalized by any means, Sona wanted her family present for that, but it was nice to talk of something other than his health and the end of the war. The only reason they stopped talking was because he fell asleep in his chair. It wasn’t that he found the talk boring, but he was still recovering from his ordeal. They told him goodnight and left so he could rest.
It was late in the morning when he woke up again. When he had woken up the day before, he felt weak and exhausted. Understandable, considering that he spent a week in a poisoned induced sleep. Now, after a full, natural, nights sleep, he felt ready to face Aeterna again.
That is, he thought as the healer entered in room, if he’s going to let me.
“And how are we feeling today?” the healer asked.
“Much better,” he said truthfully as he sat up. “And ready to go rejoin the rest of the world.”
The healer snorted. “I’ll be the judge of that.”
The healer was through in his examination. Martin endured it, knowing that if he were a good patient, he was more likely to get cleared.
“Well,” the healer huffed, standing back after the examination. “I can’t find anything wrong with you…”
“Good,” Martin said, standing up from the bed. “I’ll get going!”
“Now wait a minute,” the healer said, placing himself between him and the door. It was then that Martin noticed just how short the man was and how bald he was going. “I have some instructions.”
Martin sighed. He knew there was going to be a catch.
“If you start to feel suddenly weak or dizzy, you are to sit down immediately. If it doesn’t improve, you are to return here to your rooms and wait for myself or another healer to come check on you.
“Also,” he went on, holding a finger up. “You are to get plenty to eat. You haven’t eaten in a week and you’ll need to rebuild your strength.”
“Yes, sir,” Martin said. Eating whatever was placed in front of his face wasn’t going to be a problem.
“And lastly,” the healer finished. “You’re not allowed to leave the palace grounds until tomorrow. Understood?”
“Every word.”
The healer sighed. “And I still worry. Go on. I know you want to be else where.”
Martin flashed the healer a grin before darting out of his apartment. Finally! He wasn’t the type of person to keep still. And how could he? With all of Aeterna in a state of excitement? The war was over and he was alive! How could life not get any better?
His first stop was Sona’s new cambers. Knocking on the door, he waited for her answer before opening the door. Inside reminded him a lot of his own room, only in blue. Sona stood before a vanity, brushing her hair. He smiled. He was so lucky to have her.
“Well, good morning,” she said, turning to smile at him. “I see the healer let you out of your room.”
“Finally,” he laughed, approaching her. He hugged her tight, giving her a very passionate kiss. She returned the kiss, her hands grasping his hair. When they broke off, they just grinned at each other.
“People will talk if we’re together alone,” she teased, flicking the tip of his nose.
“We can deal with rumors,” he proclaimed. “Now, how about breakfast? Abigail wanted us to join her and Sara this morning.”
“Of course,” Sona said, turning to take something from the vanity. She froze when she only saw herself in the mirror. “You still don’t have a reflection?” she asked, turning back to him.
Martin sighed. “I know,” he muttered, glancing at the mirror. “I don’t know why.”
“Hum,” she said, taking his arm. “Perhaps we should do something about that.”
“I don’t know what.”
They talked about what they could do about his missing reflection as they walked to the queen’s apartment. Although it was late in the morning for Martin, it was normal time for everyone else. The palace staff pretended to not notice the two of them as they walked, but Martin could tell the curiosity and the joy the people felt as they saw them.
It was nice to have those feelings pound him again.
They arrived to the queen’s apartment to find it in a flutter of activity.
“What’s going on?” he asked, stepping aside as a man hurried out with an old piece of furniture.
“Ah,” Abigail said, spotting them. She stepped over torn up carpet that was to be replaced. “You’re here! How are you two doing today?”
“Much better,” he answered, still confused by the work being done. It seemed as if his mother was trying to redecorate the royal apartment in a day. “What’s happening?”
Abigail paused, glancing back at the workers. “That’s right,” she muttered, biting her lower lip. “You haven’t heard.”
“Heard what?” Sona asked for him.
The queen turned to both of them, grinning. “Your father’s alive. And he’s coming home tomorrow.”
************
Nacre came into their view about mid morning. Jon gazed up at his beloved city. It was covered in banners of blue and silver, his family colors. People crowded the streets and filled the roofs to get a look at him. Jon was immediately glad that he had kept most of his beard. It concealed his quivering chin.
Today was the day that he told Martin the truth.
They were only a day’s march from Nacre when the news reached them. Martin had finally woken up and was making a full recovery. Jon couldn’t stop his tears of relief at the news. His son was safe and alive.
Now the prince was going to get another shock to his recovering system.
He rode at the head of the army, waving as the people cheered him on in the streets. He waved as he passed, glad to finally be home.
Trumpets announced his ride through the streets, causing the air to ring with even more noise. Jon took it all in.
He was finally home.
**********
Martin sat in his apartment, his eyes closed as he felt the pounding of Nacre’s emotions.
His dad had arrived.
He took a deep breath, concentrating on the emotions of the city. He had heard that nearly everyone loved King Jonathan and now he could tell it was true. Aeterna truly loved their king.
What is he going to think of me? he wondered, his stomach forming knots. After his mother told him the news the day before, he almost collapsed in shock. After years of wishing for a father, after having already gone through the grief of loosing him before he could get to know him, the truth was revealed. His father was alive and coming home.
“You shouldn’t worry,” the Spirit told him.
“I can’t help it,” he whispered, slowly opening his eyes. He was alone in his apartment. It was Abigail’s idea that he wait in his apartment for his father to come to him. He was fine with that. That way he could be nervous alone.
“I guess we can’t tell you different,” the Spirit said somewhat smugly. “You’re in for a surprise.”
Martin frowned and sat up. “What are you talking about?”
There was no response.
The prince sighed. It figured that the Spirit wouldn’t answer him. It enjoyed playing with him. He sat there nervously, waiting for his dad to finally show up.
*********
Abigail and her daughter stood on the palace steps as the king finally returned home. The queen beamed as she watched him approach. The beard, she thought reluctantly, looked good on him. He wasn’t going to have to argue hard to keep it. He was still fit, though she could tell that his knee was bothering him as he dismounted. It was a wound he was going to have to deal with for the rest of his life.
“Dad!” Sara yelled. She broke protocol and ran down the steps and into his waiting arms. Her husband grabbed their daughter in a hug, swinging her around. “Oh, Sara,” he choked, holding her tight. “My Sara.”
“Dad,” Sara cried, kissing her father’s cheek. “Welcome home.”
He put her down, patting her cheek. “My,” he said, looking her over, “how much you have grown. I hope no boy has gotten your attentions.”
Not surprising, Sara blushed. Abigail hid a grin behind her hand as she descended the steps. She hadn’t gotten all the details yet, but she was certain that someone had caught the princess’s eye.
Jon looked up as she approached, the love he had for her shining in his expression. Without a word, he took her in his strong arms.
“My Abby,” he said softly, resting his forehead against hers.
“My Jon,” she chuckled, closing her eyes. “I’ve waited so long for this day.”
“We all have.” He kissed her gently, in front of everyone. Abigail wouldn’t have allowed it if it weren’t for the fact that they had been separated for so long. Anyone could watch, for all she cared. Her husband was home!
Cheers irrupted when they broke. Nobles, servants, citizens had all gathered in the courtyard to watch the royal family to be reunited.
There was, however, someone missing.
“Where’s Martin?” Jon asked, looking around for their son.
“He’s waiting for you,” Abigail said. “In his apartment.”
Jon frowned. “Why?”
“Mom thought that you two should meet in private,” Sara said, worming her way under her dad’s other arm. “I mean… he told both us privately who he was.”
“The same courtesy should be given to you,” Abigail added. “I’m sure the two of you have a lot to talk about without extra ears around.”
Jon glanced up the palace. “You’re right,” he said softly. “There shouldn’t be extra ears.” He took a deep breath. “I’d like to see him.”
Abigail nodded and as a family they walked into the palace. People watched as they made their way to the royal apartments. Everyone had heard of Abigail’s plan and many disapproved of it. Many had wanted to see the king’s reaction to seeing his son again.
They’ve already missed out on that, Abigail thought. Jon learned about Martin before I did.
Now it was time for Martin to learn the truth.
“Those are his rooms,” Abigail said, pointing down the hall to their son’s apartment. “He’s waiting.”
Jon took a deep breath and went forward without a word. He opened the door and quietly walked in, closing the door behind him.
“That’s Fred!”
Abigail turned around. Sona was standing behind them, her face pale.
“Yes,” she laughed. “Fred Chief and Jonathan Santer are the same person.”
“Fred Chief?” Sara exclaimed, her eyes wide. “But… He’s a Ghost General!”
“Come on, you two,” the queen said, ushering them to her apartment. “I’ll tell you the truth as Martin and his father talk.”
***********
Martin stood with his back to the door when he opened it. Jon softly closed the door, hoping that his son would take the truth well.
The prince turned around at the sound of it being closed, taking in a deep breath as he did so. “Fred,” he said, mildly surprised. “Hi.”
Jon smiled. “Hello, Martin,” he said. “I hear congratulations are in order. You ended a war.”
Martin chuckled, running a hand through his short dark hair. “I almost got killed doing it though.”
“You survived,” Jon pointed out. His knee began to ache. “Can we sit?” he asked, reaching down to rub his knee. “The ride wasn’t an easy one.”
“Of course,” Martin said quickly, gesturing to the chairs around the fireplace.
“All of the Venter armies are ordered to pull out,” Jon explained as he sat. “Many of them are being escorted to the boarder.”
“Problems?” his son asked.
“Nothing we can’t handle,” he assured. “Even the Venter king wants his people out of here. I got the impression that he wanted this war to be over well over a year ago.”
Martin chuckled. “I think everyone did.”
“True.” He glanced around the entry room. It didn’t have any personality yet, but he figured that would change in time, when Martin finally settled down as the prince. “How are you?” he asked. “I also heard that you got poisoned with a new type of Nightmare Dust.”
The prince squirmed. “That’s also true,” he admitted reluctantly. “That’s how I almost got killed.”
“Tell me about it.”
Martin took a deep breath and then explained everything. Jon listened intently, not letting a single detail escape his notice. When Martin spoke of his time spent under, the prince’s voice went very soft. Jon didn’t bother trying to dig more into his darkest memories. There was a reason why his son didn’t talk about them. It was less painful that way.
“Then I woke up two days ago,” Martin finished. “I haven’t done much in that time. Just proposed to the woman I love…”
“Wait,” Jon said, finally stopping the narrative. “You proposed to someone? Who?”
“Sona Merette,” his son said softly. “You remember her? Right?”
“The pretty little researcher in charge of finding you,” Jon said, remembering. “She always had a crush on you, you know. I’m surprised you let her close.”
“She was persistent,” Martin said with a weak chuckle. “Now I can’t imagine my life without her.”
“That’s the way it should be,” Jon snorted. He suddenly grinned. “Congratulations again. I’m happy that you found someone.”
“Thanks, Fred,” Martin said, blushing a bit. He then glanced at the clock, noting that they had been talking for at least a half hour.
“Expecting someone?” Jon asked softly. It was time to stop stalling.
Martin deserved a father.
“Actually, yes,” his son answered, frowning. “I’m a bit surprised. But he’s late…”
“Martin,” Jon said softly, leaning forward, resting his elbows on his knees, his hands clenched in front of him. “Have you ever known me to be late?”
“Well…” his son started to say when the meaning of the words hit him. His head snapped back to stare at him. Jon kept his eye contact, fearing for a moment to loose it.
“No…” Martin breathed, sitting back. He glanced away. “Really…?” He bowed his head, his expression hidden from him. Jon felt his stomach drop. What if Martin never forgave him for this?
Suddenly, his son’s shoulders shook. At first, Jon thought it was anger, then Martin’s laughter grew louder. The prince threw his head back, unable to hide his laughter.
“It makes perfect sense!” he laughed, meeting his gaze and grinning. “Perfect, ironic, sense!”
Jon grinned. That was his Martin.
“I didn’t want to scare you away,” he explained.
“Good thing too,” Martin continued to laugh. “I would have defiantly run as far from you as possible if I knew you were the king of Aeterna.”
“Then you understand why I lied?”
“You’re talking to someone who made a living lying,” Martin pointed out, grinning. “I have no reason to cast stones at you.”
Jon grinned. “That’s my son.”
Martin finally stopped laughing, tears of joy filling his eyes. “Dad.”
They both stood and hugged each other tight.
Finally, after years of being apart, father and son were reunited.
**********
A celebration had been planned. Martin tugged at the sleeves of his uniform coat, making sure it still fit.
“Nervous?” his father asked. Martin grinned at him.
“Not for a minute.”
“Liar,” the king teased. Martin continued to grin.
It had been a month since his father had returned, a month since the war was finally declared over. The month was quickly filled with trying to return things to normal. King Jonathan was quick to return to Court and took charge of the government, letting his wife take a much-needed vacation.
Queen Abigail spent most of her time with her daughter and future daughter-in-law. The three of them were busy planning for a wedding. Martin was sure that the giggling he heard from Sona lately was due to that planning. He decided that it was best to just not get involved.
His time was filled by being the prince, always in the king’s shadow as his father taught him about what it meant to be the ruler of Aeterna. He had learned more about being a king in the month after the war than he ever thought possible.
The celebration for ending the war was postponed for many reasons. King Jonathan’s first proclamation was a period of mourning and rebuilding. Their nation had endured much and many lives had been lost. They needed time to grieve and pick up the pieces. Martin was quick to help wherever, whenever, he could. He could tell that the people were grateful for his help. It restored many’s faith in the Aeternan government.
After the period was over, plans immediately went into motion to celebrate. It had taken a week to gather everything, send out flyers, and even to allow people from the surrounding area to come. It promised to be one of the biggest celebrations Nacre had ever seen.
“You do look alright,” Jon commented to him. “Now, stop fidgeting.”
“I don’t fidget,” Martin huffed. “I check.”
Jon chuckled, clapping his shoulder. “I still think you should wear a crown,” his father said, glancing briefly at his unadorned head.
“You don’t wear one,” he pointed out.
“I’m the king. I don’t need it.”
Martin snorted. “Then I shouldn’t either.”
“Fine,” his father laughed. “I won’t force you. You’ll just loose it by the end of the night anyway.”
“What’s taking them so long?” Martin asked, glancing up the palace steps. His mother, sister, and fiancée had yet to join them outside. The celebration was to take place surrounding the Aeternan Tree. Night was falling and many of Nacre were already there.
“Women just take a long time,” Jon explained. “And the more noble, the longer they take. Your Sona is not going to be any different. Just live with it and go on.”
Martin shook his head. What a silly thing.
“Martin,” his father suddenly said. “I have a question for you.”
“Sure,” he said, turning to the king. “What is it?”
“A couple years ago, I knew a young man who was keeping a dangerous secret,” Jon said. “One that kept him as a secret’s captive. He was going through a terrible time and didn’t ask anyone for help.” Martin nodded, remembering that day.
“I asked him a very important question,” his father went on. “I asked him why he wasn’t happy. He wasn’t very honest with me.”
“Figures,” Martin said, smirking.
“Yes,” Jon chuckled. “But I’d like to pose a question to you now. Are you happy?”
Am I happy?
A simple question, but vastly important at the same time.
“It seems that the men haven’t left us at all,” his mother said, appearing at the top of the steps. Beside her, Sara and Sona appeared. Martin had only eyes for Sona, his love for her bursting inside him. She was so beautiful, especially in blue. Her green eyes danced to see his expression.
“Of course we wouldn’t leave you beauties behind,” the king teased. “We’d both be out of the home before we could apologize.”
“Isn’t that the truth!” Sara laughed, skipping down the steps.
Martin gazed at his family, smiling.
“Am I happy?” he quietly asked. “Yes. Yes, I am.” It was amazing to admit it. He had dreaded for so long about becoming the prince, that this simple realization, this simple fact, amazed him. He was happy. He was part of a family, he belonged to a nation he loved, and his future was bright again.
“Martin Santer.”
Martin paused and turned. For some odd reason, the designers of the palace had polished the stone around the palace steps so well that it was practically a mirror. He was expecting to see nothing but the others’ refection.
Instead, he saw the Spirit standing there, a smile on its many lips.
“Now,” it said, “you are the Crown Prince of Aeterna."
It faded into the wrong image that had haunted his dreams years before and it stared at him, the deep blue eyes of his father twinkling.
“Congrats,” the wrong image said. “You’ve created your own image.”
Then it too faded…
Martin stared at his own reflection, shocked. It wasn’t how he remembered himself. He had always seen a reckless spy, a young man with no place to call his own and didn’t care.
Now he saw himself. A young prince, a man who loved his nation and his life. Martin smiled. That was who he was.
“Martin?” Sona said, touching his shoulder. “It’s time to go…” She gasped slightly when she realized what she was staring at.
“Oh, Martin,” she breathed, wrapping her arm around his.
“What’s wrong?” his father asked, coming to join them, his wife and daughter following. They too gasped in shock to finally see his reflection.
“Nothing,” Martin said, grinning. “Nothing is wrong.” He turned to them, smiling. “Everything is right. Finally, everything is right.”
The End
*************
Thanks for the adventure, Martin. Let’s do it again sometime.
Enjoy the journey!
Love it! Thanks for letting me read it.
ReplyDelete