Monday, December 31, 2012

A Party

Now we’re coming to what kept jumping my word count by leaps and bounds this last November. The final preparations for war. The building climax to the end. Let’s get to it, shall we?
********
“What do you mean!” Sara demanded to know. “Terk’s coming here!”

Martin rolled his eyes. “I don’t see what you’re so surprised about,” he said, staring out the carriage window. It was the end of another long day at Court and another day closer to Terk’s arrival. He almost couldn’t stand the tattered nerves around him. It had gotten to the point where he had to block emotions from him to keep the fears from getting to him. “You knew when I got here that Terk would be coming after me.”

“Yeah,” his sister stuttered, “but I didn’t expect him to come so soon! Are you sure it’s going to be in the next couple of days?”

“Yes,” he said softly. “I’m sure.” The land itself felt it. How could it not, with a hostile army marching on it? People were terrified as the army came close and then passed by. They knew what it meant. They knew Terk was going for the capital. Some had tried to send messages, but they never got through. Terk was determined to keep his approach as quiet as possible. It might have been possible if Martin and his Ghosts hadn’t set up the trap to begin with.

“Have you done anything to prepare for his arrival?” Sara asked, her voice strained. Martin finally glanced at his sister, noticing how stiffly she sat. He couldn’t blame her. She wasn’t used to danger like he was.

“I’ve done a lot actually,” he snorted. “Where have you been?”

“Obviously not where you’ve been,” she accused. “What are you going to do when Terk gets here? No doubt he’s going to rush to the palace and capture you. Probably put that Inhibitor on you again.”

“He won’t catch me,” he assured her. “And I’d rather that he doesn’t catch you either.”

Sara paused, whatever she had in mind to argue with him about vanished with what he had said. “Why don’t you want him to catch me?” she asked, sounding troubled.

“Because you shouldn’t be involved in warfare,” he said blandly, staring out the window again. The people of Nacre went about their daily lives, not knowing that they were days away from danger. However, he could tell that there were some, his secret army of citizens, soldiers, and Ghosts, were ready.

He hated waiting for battle.

“Terk is going to strike at the people closest to me,” he said softly. “And I intend to remove as many of those people as possible.”

“Like mom?”

He shook his head, still remembering the conversation he tried to have with the queen on the matter. “She refused. She said that her place is to be captured with the rest of Nacre. I tried to talk her out of it and she gave me a tongue lashing.” He shuttered a bit. It had been a long time since someone talked to him like that. “However,” he went on, “she did agree that you shouldn’t be captured. I got the impression that she didn’t want her children caught in battle.”

“For good reason,” Sara mumbled. “She’s already lost you once. She doesn’t want to loose both of us.” The princess sighed. “Alright. I’ll go into hiding. When? Where? How?”

Martin started chuckling. “That year spent with Suit really has you thinking of details, hasn’t it?”

Sara tried to imitate his shrug. “I picked some things up. So… the plan with me?”

“When Terk invades, a few of my men will approach you and take you away,” he told her. “They’re going to say to you ‘Excuse me, your highness, but your brother needs you to visit him.’ Then you’re going to reply, ‘But I’m busy.’ And they must answer ‘But it’s for your own good. Please accept.’”

“That sounds like a boring conversation,” Sara noted.

“Don’t blame me,” Martin said with a shrug. “The Ghosts came up with.”

“Why won’t you tell me where I’m going? Or when?”

“Because Terk is going to strike fast,” he pointed out. “He might capture you, despite our efforts. I’d rather you not reveal where I’m hiding. Besides, most of Nacre doesn’t know that Terk is coming. If we both disappear now, we’ll cause a worry. If we go missing right after Terk’s takeover, then the people will have hope.”

Sara stared at him before shaking her head. “When will you stop plotting like this?”

Martin didn’t grace her with an answer. He would never stop plotting, not until he had given Aeterna everything he can.
**********
Sona was in his apartment when he returned. He was a bit surprised to see her. Normally, she waited until he was there before coming. It seemed that nerves had been getting to her in the last few days. He couldn’t decide if it was because of the approaching battle, how he was putting himself in danger again, or some other matter entirely.

“Welcome back,” Sona said, glancing up from the book she was reading. She was curled in one of the chairs by the fire. “How was your day at Court?”

“Like any other day,” he said, sitting down in the chair next to her. “Politics bickering, nobles sneering, elected officials arguing. Laws were passed, bills were vetoed. Judgments were passed and others pardoned.”

“Sounds exciting,” Sona said dully.

He shrugged. “I actually kind of like it. How was your day?”

“Everyone’s ready,” she said, closing her book.

“Did you get the package I wanted?”

She snorted softly. “Of course I did.” She reached down on the other side of the chair, picking up the package. It wasn’t very large, about the size of an apple. She tossed it at him. “What is it? The man I picked it up from seemed like a very unsavory fellow.”

Martin chuckled as he caught the package. “Justin Piro has that effect on people.” It seemed ironic to him that he had to use Piro to get this. He carefully tore the brown paper off, revealing….

“Wait,” Sona said, half rising from her chair, her eyes wide as she saw what she had just given him. “Is that…” She paled and couldn’t finish.

“Yes,” he said softly, holding the round object up. “It’s an Inhibitor.”

It was a small seamless ball of silver, marred only by the dead language written on the surface. It wasn’t the same one that had been Inhibiting him for most of his life, but it was similar. He held it up, his insides forming knots.

“Why do you want an Inhibitor?” Sona asked, her voice strained. He glanced at her, seeing her distress. It was thanks to an Inhibitor that he had spent most of his life not knowing who he was or what he could do. Most of the pain in his life could have been diverted if he had never been Inhibited.

“Because this is what’s going to keep Terk from finding me.”

“What!”

Martin could understand Sona’s shock. It unnerved him too if he thought about it too much.

“You can’t possibly be serious,” she said. She finished standing and tried to tower over him. “You’re going to Inhibit yourself?”

“If a mage comes within twenty-five miles of me, they can sense me using my magic,” he explained, his focus on the small metal ball in his hands. “That’s why they were able to find me at the Stand. As long as I don’t use my powers, they can’t find me.”

“Then don’t use your powers,” she argued. “You don’t need to go through this extreme…”

“I have to,” he interrupted her firmly.

“Why?” she demanded to know.

“Because,” he dragged out, his insides squirming at the very thought, “I can’t risk the Spirit helping me.”

“What’s that supposed to mean?”

“He’s right.”

Sona froze, like she always did when the Spirit talked with her. But Martin knew this time was a combination of hearing the Spirit and realizing that it agreed with him.

“The Spirit can force me to do things,” he sighed, sinking into his chair. “It took away my depression after Luke died until I managed to help rescue everyone. It can force me to go where it thinks I need to go. With the Connection on, I can direct the magic away from the land when I get hurt and actually direct it at myself to heal. I can’t risk a mage feeling that. Our link has to be separated so Terk can’t find me by magic.”

Sona struggled to find her words. “And the Spirit,” she finally spat out, “agrees to this?”

“It knows this is the best way to protect me,” he whispered. “It may not like it, but it will put up with it because it knows it’s one of the safest ways to protect me.”

“And are you going to Inhibit yourself now?” she asked hotly, her hands on her hips. “Before Terk shows up?”

“Actually I’m waiting to Terk to show up,” he said, finally meeting her unforgiving gaze. “His mages need to feel me in the city before I can disappear. I want Terk spending his energy trying to find me instead of tormenting the people.”

“And what if Terk finds you and the Inhibitor?” she asked. “What’s going to stop him from creating a permanent block?”

“You are.”

Sona frowned, taking a step back. “What?”

He held the Inhibitor out to her. “Sona, I need you to keep this safe for me.”

“You can’t be serious!”

“I am,” he said, standing up and placing the Inhibitor in her hands. “I trust you, Sona. More than anyone else. I’m placing my powers in your hands because I know you’ll do everything you can to protect it.”

“And then you’ll send both me and the Inhibitor away,” she said angrily, trying to shove the Inhibitor back at him. “I’m not going to leave at the first sight of danger!”

“I’m not asking you to,” he said, putting the Inhibitor back in her hands and wrapping his hands around hers. “I’m asking you to keep this safe. Once Terk takes Nacre over, I’ll Inhibit myself and you keep this safe until I finally confront Terk. I’m going to need you and it here in Nacre so I can unblock myself at the right time.”

Sona bowed her head, unable to meet his eyes. Her hands tightened on the metal ball, her shoulders shaking from fear.

“Alright,” she whispered as tears ran down her cheeks. “If it’s the only way.”

It hurt to see her in so much pain. Martin pulled her into his arms, holding her tight. She buried her face in his shoulder, silent tears shaking her frame.

“You stupid idiot,” she whispered. “When will you stop putting yourself in danger like this?”

“I don’t know,” he said honestly, stroking her hair as she cried. “I honestly don’t. I don’t think that I could ever stop putting myself in danger. Danger has been a part of my life for so long… To be without it…” He sighed, kissing her temple. “You understand.”

That got a weak laugh out of her. “Yes, you stupid idiot. I understand.”

They fell silent, taking comfort in each other’s company. Martin didn’t need to explain how nervous he felt. He had been Inhibited once again only a year before for a short time. He hadn’t liked the empty space in his soul when he was separated from the land. The Spirit had managed to talk to him, even take away his depression for a bit, but Martin couldn’t feel the people, the land. He knew he could never return to the half life the Inhibitor forced him in.

But this had to be done. The Spirit of Aeterna could not act to save his life when it had to be separate to do so.

“I guess I’m going to have to be by your side until Terk comes here, huh?” Sona finally said after a few minutes. Her voice was too soft for him to catch any meaning behind her words.

“I guess you do,” he teased, nuzzling his nose in her hair. “I won’t mind that.”

She chuckled weakly. “I have a party tomorrow night with my family. You’re going to have to come with me to it. I promised that I’d go.”

“That’s fine,” he said. “I’ll wear a disguise. I need an excuse to get out anyway.”
*******
Nacre was close.

Terk stood on a hill, gazing southwest, where the Aeternan capital was only about a day’s march away. His men were tired, their animals spent, food was low, moral was spiraling down, and none of it mattered.

Prince Martin was close again.

“Well?” he asked, not bothering to turn around. Behind him his war council had followed him up the hill while the rest of the army pitched their tents for the night. It was well after dark and everyone wanted some rest.

“We’ll be able to sense him,” said one of the mages said. “Not even if he abstain from using his powers, our combined powers will be able to pick him out.”

Terk nodded, glaring towards Nacre.

The trap may be set but it was the bait who was going to suffer.
**********
Sona was beyond nervous. Not only was Terk due to arrive any day now, and not only was the man she loved was going to be putting his life in danger, but this just had to be the most nerve racking day of her life.

The party Scott planned to meet the man she loved.

She still wasn’t sure if she was going to hide the truth or explain to her family that she fell in love with the crown prince.

Martin, of course, knew nothing about it.

He said he’d wear a disguise, she thought, getting ready for the party in her apartment. Sandy was there too, trying to offer advice on what to wear.

“But green looks really good on you,” Sandy argued when Sona finally picked out a simple blue dress to wear. Her roommate sat on her bed as Sona stood before a mirror to fix her appearance.

Martin likes blue, Sona thought rebelliously as she brushed her hair.

“And when do I get to meet this guy?” Sandy pouted.

“Whenever I feel like introducing him,” Sona snapped. She paused as she reached for a hair tie when she decided to just let her hair down for the evening. She always got the impression that Martin liked it when she wore her hair down.

“Well,” she said as she picked up her bag, taking a deep breath to brace herself. “I’ve got to be going. I’ll see you later.”

“Alright,” Sandy grumbled, her face scrunched in disappointment. “But when you come back, I want all the details!”

Like that’s going to happen, Sona thought as she left. It really wasn’t Sandy’s business to know the details.

Martin had agreed to meet her outside the palace. Sona was glad that he had. Despite a month of being unable to find the prince’s ‘mysterious woman,’ the Court still gossiped and tried to find her. At last count, there had been seven close calls of someone catching the two of them alone. It was only thanks to Martin’s powers that they didn’t get caught.

So much trouble for keeping our relationship a secret, she thought bitterly as she walked out the palace gates. The guards said nothing to her as she passed. They were used to her leaving this late in the evening.

Why do I put up with this? she wondered, glancing back to the palace before she headed for Dean’s shop where she agreed to meet Martin. She already knew Martin loved her. She knew that Pomace, Abigail, even Aeterna, approved of her. And the more she realized just how alone the prince was, the more important it seemed to her that he needed her.

Not just as a queen, but as a wife and friend.

So why am I putting up with this? she asked herself. She finally came to a decision.

Martin was waiting at Dean’s shop, just outside. He was dressed as David Taylor, the farmer who was working for Duke Thomas to move supplies. It was a strangely warm fall evening and he had his sleeves rolled up, revealing the scars on his arms.

He can never do disguises simply, Sona thought both fondly and exasperated. That was her Martin.

“You’re late, my lady,” Martin said in his underclass accent, bowing as she joined him. He winked at her. “You do look pretty though, so I guess I’m honored to wait for you to finish perfecting yourself.”

Sona laughed, resting her hand on his arm. “Are you ready?”

“The question is,” Martin said, tapping the side of his nose. “Are you?”

She stared him in the eyes, those wonderful hazel eyes that always shown with life and excitement. However, the eyes did not match the person she saw. The man who stood with her was a character, not who she really wanted.

“Not really,” she answered, eyeing his disguise critically. “This party my family is putting on is to meet the man who I love. And I’m not seeing him.”

Martin raised an eyebrow. “Meaning?” he asked slowly.

“Well,” she said softly, reaching up and taking the glasses off his face. “The man I love doesn’t wear glasses.” She then pulled the wig off his head. “And he definitely does not have red hair.” She put the wig and glasses down on the bag beside Martin’s feet, the one he always carried around when he needed a disguise. She then proceeded to roll his sleeves back over his arms. “And he never shows off the scars on his arms.”

She smiled up at the man she loved. “Now,” she said, taking his arm in hers, “I’m ready.”

“You sure?” he asked, loosing the accent and his expression serious. “You’re going to really introduce me to your family?”

“I promised to introduce the man I love,” she said, trying to quail the butterflies in her stomach. “I shouldn’t lie to them.”

“You do realize that we’re going to be open about our relationship now,” he pointed out. However he seemed to protest, he bent down to pick up his pack and started leading her away. “Are you ready to be known as my mysterious woman?”

Sona snorted. “I’m not your mysterious woman. I am your lady. Got that?”

Martin smiled. “Of course, my Lady.”
*********
Scott was satisfied with the way things were going. The apartment building they had rented for their time in Nacre was large enough to accommodate everyone and also provided enough room for the party tonight. The large courtyard behind the building had a disappointing lack of trees, but other than that, it was large enough for them and the food. The band comprising of his sons had begun playing a lively tune, there were people already dancing to the music.

“Your niece is late,” his wife Lois said as she put the last of the food platters on the table. “What is keeping her?”

“Oh,” Scott brushed off, picking a carrot off the plate, “I bet she and her beau are distracted.”

“That’s improper,” she snorted, her cheeks coloring. Scott laughed.

“Sona’s a city girl now,” he said, winking at her. “We can’t expect her to keep our silly back country traditions.”

“Its not silly tradition,” she informed him, smacking his arm. “It’s about the proper right thing to do!”

“Yes, dear,” Scott said, taking a bite of his carrot. While he was unconcerned, he was interested to know why his niece was late.

It was only a few minutes later when she arrived. Sona as usual, looked beautiful in a blue dress. But Scott kept his eye on the young man who held her hand. He was very average looking, with short dark brown hair and hazel eyes. He was dressed as some farmer.

And here I was thinking that she could do better than a farmer, Scott thought, shaking his head. His dear, only niece could do better. Didn’t the son of the lord of her valley wanted to marry her? Sona could be a noble! The first in the family!

“Uncle!” Sona hailed, pulling the young man after her to meet him. “We’re here!”

“Finally,” Lois said, folding her arms around herself. “You two are late. Why?”

“We had to take a detour to get here,” the young man explained, his voice deep.

“He means to say that we got lost,” she snorted, though smiling fondly at him. “And here I thought he knew Nacre like the back of his hand!”

“We didn’t get lost,” the young man insisted. “We just got detoured.”

“Whatever you think,” Sona teased. She paused, hearing the music for the first time. She gasped in pleasant surprise to see dancing.

“Oh, Uncle Scott,” she breathed, grinning. “You shouldn’t have!”

“It’s only right and proper to have a country dance,” Scott laughed. “It’s a special event! A young man finally caught your attention!”

“And it’s my favorite song!” she laughed. She began to drag the young man to the dancing. “Come on! Let’s see how much you know of country dancing!”

“I know how…” he started to protest when she yanked him harder.

“Sona!” Lois called after her, “you haven’t even introduced your young man to us yet!”

“My wife is right!” Scott laughed. “What’s your name, young man?”

The young man glanced behind him to them, his smile for some reason apologetic. “I’m Martin Santer.”

“And don’t you dare call him your highness!” Sona insisted, pulling him even harder. The young man was practically yanked off his feet as she brought him into the dancing.

Scott and Lois stood frozen to the spot.

Martin Santer?

The Crown Prince of Aeterna?

He was the one who had caught Sona’s heart?

Scott didn’t know how long they stood there, watching as his niece danced with the prince. For being royalty, he managed the dance quite well, matching the fast pace of the music and the intricate foot placements. Sona laughed the entire time, thoroughly enjoying herself.

“He can’t be the prince,” Lois finally whispered, her face pale and her eyes wide. “There’s no way he could be.”

“You’ve heard the news,” Scott breathed, unable to get his brain to think right. “There’s some woman who caught his attention. Why not Sona?”

“Because she’d never stand for a royal life!” Lois argued, the color returning to her face with the heat of anger. “There’s a reason why she kept rejecting Lord Larry…”

“So you think the young man lied about his name?” Scott asked.

“He didn’t lie.”

They turned around. His oldest son stood behind them, his face matching their shock. “I went to Court today. I saw the prince in person. That’s him! Sona brought the prince here!”

“Why?” Lois demanded to know. “We wanted to meet the young man who captured her heart, not a prince!”

“Why not the prince?” Scott asked. “We all know that Sona had been working on the prince’s records. It’s very possible that they fell in love.”

“He probably just wants to use our Sona,” Lois said bitterly, glaring at the young man. “You’ve heard the tales about noblemen. They promise a young girl the privileged life and then turn her out after they find out they got her pregnant. I’m not so sure about this.”

“Then we’ll pull them aside separately and ask,” Scott suggested. “We shouldn’t get excited or worried about this until we have all the details, alright?” His wife still looked miffed. “Lois,” he said firmly. “We need to know what’s going on before we pass judgment.”

“Fine,” Lois snapped. “I’ll talk to Sona. You’ll get the prince.” She paused then glared at him. “And you’d better be hard on him.”

“Yes, ma’am,” he said, bowing his head to her. She smacked him again and waited with her arms folded for the dance to end. However, once the dance ended, the band started another song and the couple kept dancing.

After a few songs, Sona finally lost steam and lead the prince back to them. “Whew!” she said, grinning widely. “That was fun.”

“It was,” Prince Martin agreed, his grin matching hers. “A lot of fun. I can’t remember the last time I danced like that. The nobles are too stiff when they dance.”

Sona laughed, putting her hand on his shoulder. “Only you would know that.” She then gave a mocking sigh. “I’m betting my aunt and uncle what to pull us apart and interrogate us about our relationship.”

“Judging from your aunt’s glare,” the prince said, nodding his head at Lois, “I think you’re right. Alright, who has who?”

“Sona,” Lois snapped, grabbing her niece’s arm. “Come with me. Now.”

“I’ll be back shortly,” Sona said happily, quickly kissing the prince on the cheek before letting her aunt drag her away.

Scott sighed. He was glad he wasn’t Sona. Then he turned his attention back to the young man.

“You really the prince?” he asked. He still couldn’t believe it. A noble, a royal, did not mingle with commoners.

“I was shocked myself when I found out,” the prince said, half smiling. “It took me a while to believe it, so I won’t hold it against you if you don’t believe me.”

Scott felt himself smiling a bit. “I think I might like you,” he chuckled. “What do you have in mind for my beautiful niece? Nothing dishonorable, I hope.”

“Nothing of the sort,” Martin assured him. “I have only the greatest respect and love for her.”

Love.

“You love her then?” he asked.

The prince nodded. “I do. She’s one of the most amazing women I have ever known.” He paused and glanced in the direction that his wife had dragged his niece away. “And what she sees in me, I don’t know.”

“You’re a prince.”

“That’s actually hasn’t helped,” the prince sighed. “We started courting before she knew I was the prince. She liked me long before even I knew who I was. As I said, what she sees in me is a mystery to me.”

Scott could immediately see what his niece saw in him. He could tell that this young man was an honest fellow, a dedicated man to what was most important to him. There was much to respect in that. “And what are your intentions now towards her?” he asked. “She’s been very firm that she doesn’t want to marry nobles.”

“My intention towards her is marriage,” the prince confessed. “I’ve been wearing her down this last month.” He suddenly grinned. “And I think tonight I might finally propose.”

Scott gaped at the prince, his eyes felt like they were going to pop out of his head. “Propose?” he repeated. “Our Sona?”

“She wanted you to meet me,” Martin said, smiling. “She’s not afraid of being with me in public any longer. I think it is time I propose.” He turned again to where Sona disappeared. “I just can’t live without her.”

Scott couldn’t move from the spot. There was no irony in the prince’s voice, no lust or desire. It was a simple fact, a simple truth. The prince really did love Sona and couldn’t see himself with anyone else.

“Well,” Scott said, throwing his arm around the prince’s shoulder. “I wish you luck.” He suddenly grinned. “And let me be the first to say welcome to the family.”
***********
Sona was firmly forced to sit on a stool as her aunt bared down on her.

“The Crown Prince of Aeterna?” Lois shouted in her face. “What on earth do you think you’re doing! Don’t you remember what Larry tired to do you? Don’t you care about what games this prince is playing on you? Sona! Where is your head!”

“My head is firmly on my shoulders,” Sona said calmly, not bothering to raise her voice. Her aunt could be very passionate about these things. “And no, I haven’t forgotten what Larry tired to do to me. But Martin isn’t Larry. Why should I compare the two?”

“Sona,” Lois said dangerously, wagging a finger at her. “You’ve heard the stories about him…”

“Stories which I had to go through and correct,” Sona pointed out. “I know Martin’s past. He doesn’t fool around, much to the disappointment of a number of noblewomen.”

“And what just makes you think that he won’t try with you?” Lois demanded to know. “He’s a prince…”

“He’s a man,” Sona cut in, her tone finally taking on some heat. “And I know he won’t try because that’s not who he is. I had to kiss him first and I’m likely to be the one to seduce him to bed than the other way around.”

Lois blinked and took a step back. Sona smirked. It wasn’t often when someone got a word in with her aunt that caused her to be speechless.

“But…” Lois stuttered, shaking her head. “The prince…”

“We fell in love long before I knew he was the prince,” she pointed out. “And he’s very determined to have me marry him. He doesn’t want anyone else.”

“Marriage to a prince,” Lois muttered, closing her eyes and pinching the bridge of her nose. “Royalty doesn’t marry commoners.”

“Law says that he can.”

“But tradition…”

“Martin isn’t a traditional prince,” Sona argued. “Why should any of us to expect him to do anything traditional?”

For a moment, Lois didn’t say anything. She walked over to the window to look out over the courtyard. Sona glanced around the kitchen, probably the only place her aunt felt safe. She slowly stood and walked over to her aunt’s side.

“He doesn’t look much like a prince,” Lois admitted. Outside, Scott had thrown his arm over Martin’s shoulder. Martin stumbled a bit under her uncle’s weight.

“Magic was the cause of that,” Sona said softly. “He’s never known his real face.”

“You know a lot about him then,” Lois guessed.

Sona nodded. “More than I ever expected that he’d tell me. He’s a very private person.”

“And he wants you?” Lois asked, turning to her. “Why?”

Sona knew the question wasn’t meant to insult her. It was more about why the prince wanted her.

“He loves me,” she answered quietly. “For some reason, he loves me.” She paused, staring out at Martin. “And I love him.”

“Do you really? Or is this just a phase you’re going through?”

“I’m sure,” Sona said, smiling a bit. “He’s always been the man I’ve admired. No one has ever caught my attention like Martin. And I had to work hard to get his affection to return to me. I’m not giving him up.”

Lois patted her shoulder. “I guess then,” she said, almost smiling, “that we have no choice but accept him as our own, can we?”

Sona smiled. No. They had to accept him, prince and all.
*******
“And that’s when she vowed to knock me flat if I touched her in the wrong place.”

Scott laughed as the prince explained why they had never slept together. “That’s our Sona,” he chuckled. “She obviously loves you but she won’t put up with any funny business.”

Martin smiled and was about to answer when he paused and turned around. Sona and her aunt walked out of the building. Lois still looked a bit miffed, but she also seemed satisfied. Sona beamed with pleasure. But Scott kept his eye on the young prince.

Martin grinned as Sona approached, his face lighting up when she reached out to him and held his hand. Now there’s a couple in love, he thought proudly. Completely lost in each other in happiness.

“Well then,” he said, putting his arm around his wife’s shoulder. “It seems that everyone is happy with this evening.”

“More than happy,” Sona said, placing herself bodily next to the prince. Martin put his arms around her, gently holding her. “Martin’s still in one piece after meeting you.”

“Oh, come now,” Scott gasped in mock shock. “You didn’t expect us to beat the man you love into bits, now did you?”

“Of course I did,” she snorted. “You’ve only been promising to do that since I was little.”

“True,” Scott sighed, smiling. “But I don’t think we need to beat our prince to a pulp. Sounds like you can do that yourself.”

“I can play him like a puppet,” she laughed. She turned as the band started another song. “Ready to dance?” she asked the man who held her. Martin returned her grin.

“I am at your command.”

She laughed and pulled him into the dancing again.

“She’s just so happy,” Lois said softly, her eyes glistening with tears. “I haven’t seen her this happy since before the war.”

“I think she’s happy too,” Scott said, smiling at the dancing couple. The others at the party still didn’t know that the prince had joined in the dance, so no one gaped at the two. For that moment, everything was perfect. His niece was in love and she couldn’t have picked a better man.

Suddenly, Martin stopped dancing.

“Martin?” Sona asked, sounding a bit miffed. “What’s wrong?”

The prince turned sharply to the northeast, his face suddenly blank with no expression.

“Terk’s here.”
**********
Dun, dun, dun! A long post, but it can’t be helped. We’re getting closer to the end, and that means that I have a harder time deciding where to put the breaks. Should I do a cliffhanger in the middle of an intense scene? Or where a reader could breathe and go “Whoah”?

Anyway, I’m getting ready for a New Year. Not going to lie, 2012 SUCKED. Yeah, a few good things happened, like graduating from college, paying off Maxx, and finishing Martin’s story, but too many things over shadowed these. Like not getting a dietetic internship (thus making my diploma useless), suffering from severe depression for most of the year (bet no one knew that!), sprained knee and ankle at camp, then Sciatica when I got home. Overall, this has not been a happy year.

However, New Years is my favorite holiday. It’s a time to say “See ya later, old year! Bring on the new!” This year may have sucked, but I have high hopes for 2013 (even if I am superstitious of the number 13). I have another shot at getting another internship, I’m going to be attempting to get my books published (hoping the depression doesn’t hinder that), and I’m always optimistic about new years. Anything can happen! I’m looking forward to finding out what.

Here’s to a New Year! Enjoy the journey!

No comments:

Post a Comment