Monday, September 17, 2012

Pomace

Hum. We’re getting to some writing I’ve typed in just the last few weeks. I think I have like one and a half posts left and then I’m out. I should get back to writing, right? (After I finish the new series I’ve been reading. Thank goodness only two more books and I’m done. I give myself until Thursday to finish) Back to the story!
**********
Lady Pomace sat down in her usual seat at Court. That alone had the Court in a buzz with theories about why she was there. Ignoring them, she got out her stitching and began working on it. Without needing to look up, she knew what the Court looked like. Some members looked uneasy with her arrival, while others were excited. Some were confused and other simply curious. It was always the same when she came to Court. Whenever she felt in a joking mood, she would come just to cause trouble among the Court.

Today, however, she had different plans.

It had been three days since her conversation with the queen concerning the prince and his love. Since then, Pomace had met with Sona again, judging the woman as the future queen. What she saw in the young woman agreed with what she thought a queen should be. Without knowing it, Sona had just claimed Martin as her own. Now it was only a matter of convincing the Court that Prince Martin was quite capable of picking his own queen.

The boy does have fine taste, Pomace thought to herself as she watched the prince arrive, noting that he wasn’t wearing his crown. Queen Abigail and Princess Sara were missing as they were too busy planning the princess’s birthday party for the next day. She carefully watched Prince Martin. Now that she knew he was once a street urchin, she could pick out the small clues she over looked before. The way he scanned the room, his stance easy but so easily ready for a fight.

This boy was trained to be mistrustful and suspicious.

It’s a good thing that I’ve approved of Sona, she thought, picking out a different color. Now knowing that the two youngsters were already in love, she couldn’t think of another possible queen for Martin. The young woman was one of the few their prince trusted.

Probably best that he doesn’t trust many people, she figured as Court was started. I don’t trust many of these people either.

That made it all the more important that she convince the Court of her choice.

All morning, she said nothing. She didn’t even bother paying attention to what was being discussed. Politics was such a boring game to her now, having played it for so many years now. She needed a challenge now to get her attention.

What a challenge now, convincing the Court that a commoner should be their future queen.

At lunch she kept her quiet still, knowing she was causing excitement and tension among the Court. She planned to drag out her attendance at Court. The longer she sat, the more likely they were to approve of what she wanted. It was a fine art, manipulating the Court like this. It was another reason why she rarely came to Court. It was a power that should be used rarely.

During the afternoon session, she caught Prince Martin glancing at her. Pomace knew then that the prince knew that she was up to something.

You’re in luck, my young prince, she thought with a smile as the time drew close. I’m about to grant your one wish.

Court was a half hour from finishing. It was a time when most of the Court gave into things, when they were most likely to agree to anything. She waited until they were between topics when she cleared her throat.

“The Court recognizes Lady Pomace,” the Speaker said, immediately recognizing her. Pomace smiled. Even the Speaker gave way to her. There were very few people who didn’t, with Prince Martin and Lady Sona on top of that list. They were a couple that wouldn’t be pushed around, even by her.

Exactly what Aeterna needed.

“Prince Martin,” she said, still working on her stitching. “I have a question for you.”

The prince frowned from his seat. “Yes?” he asked.

“I haven’t been much to following you, I’m sorry to say. I just get so distracted in my old age. Tell me, are you married?” The Court hushed to listen. She had been lying about following the prince. She was very much aware of his single status and how aloof he was of the women at Court.

“No,” he answered, narrowing his eyes.

She paused, holding her needle out as if confused. “How old are you then? Fifteen? Seventeen?”

“Sara is turning fifteen,” Martin answered, careful to keep any emotion out of his voice. “I’m twenty.”

“Twenty?” she asked, mocking shock. “That old already and not married?” She tutted softly, shaking her head. “Why ever are you not married?”

Whispers filled the Hall, many members leaning in close to hear the prince’s reply. There was nothing more exciting and rumored than a Santer’s love life.

Prince Martin took his time answering, obviously picking his words carefully so he wouldn’t harm Sona. Pomace silently applauded that action. It showed just how concerned he was about his lady.

“Because,” he said slowly, “I’ve been busy serving Aeterna.”

A vague enough answer to intrigue the Court but yet satisfying enough to keep people from bothering him. It was well played. The prince was going to go far in politics.

She tutted again. “Such a shame. I’m sure there have been plenty of girls who’ve caught your attention in all that time serving.”

Martin sat stiffly in his chair. Pomace knew she was treading onto dangerous ground. The queen had warned her that the prince was fiercely secretive of his past and his only desire was to keep Sona safe.

However, if the Court was going to agree to allow a commoner onto the throne, they needed to suspect that the prince already had a lover.

“Perhaps,” Martin answered softly, his tone clearing indicating that he was about to end the whole discussion. The Court irrupted into excited whispers.

“And let me guess,” Pomace said, pulling tight a stitch. “She dumped you when she found you were the prince?”

“It didn’t end well,” Martin almost snapped, standing up. “But that is…”

“Quite tragic,” Pomace sighed loudly, cutting him off. “A dashing prince like yourself unable to be with the woman he loves just because you’re a noble.” She sighed again. “Quite tragic indeed.” There were many soft sobs of agreement. Pomace had to hide her smile. She had them now.

“Court,” she said, addressing everyone. “I think it is just too tragic! Our prince, a national hero and champion, cannot be with the woman he loves! I know the laws of tradition say that he must marry a noble but…” She sighed dramatically. “He’s done nothing but serve his people even when he didn’t have to. A man of his years and experience shouldn’t be told who to marry, even by laws that he never knew to follow. I put to the Court a new law, that our prince is free to seek out his future wife, since he is far more capable of choosing her than any law could. Agreed?”

“Yea!”

The agreement nearly shook the Hall. Pomace allowed herself a small smile. The deed was done. Sona would be the queen of Aeterna.

Now she just had to deal with the vengeful future king.

Once Court was adjourned, she hung back, waiting for the prince to catch her. She didn’t have to wait long.

“A word?” Prince Martin said softly, stepping up beside her. “Privately?”

“Of course, your highness,” Pomace said, smiling at the glaring young man. They went up to the Santers’ private office on the second floor. Martin let her enter first then slammed the door shut behind him.

“What was that?” he demanded to know.

“Be a little more specific,” Pomace said, completely at ease and picking a chair to sit in. She sat down carefully and took out her stitching again. “I did a lot of things today.”

“Convince the Court that I had a tragic love story,” he snapped. He pointed to the door. “Now they all think I have a lover tucked away somewhere and they’ll stop at nothing to find out who!”

“You should be thanking me,” Pomace said, her tone firm. She matched his icy stare with one of her own. “I just ensured that you can marry your Sona.”

Martin froze. He slowly stood straight, his arm lowering. “How do you know about Sona?” he asked, his voice a quiet hush.

Pomace smirked over her stitching. “Your mother told me. She approached me three days ago about your little problem. She told me that you’re desperately in love with a commoner and she couldn’t bring herself to tear you two apart. All I did was convince the Court that you’re perfectly capable of choosing your own bride.”

“By having them trying to find her?” he asked, the harshness returning in his tone and posture.

“Your Sona is quite capable of handling herself,” Pomace pointed out. “And I know you have some excellent skills yourself. I’m sure that neither of you will get caught courting.”

“You know she isn’t going to like this,” Martin pointed out to her. “I assume you’ve already met Sona. You know she can be stubborn. She already has it in her head that we can’t be together.”

“Oh, don’t worry,” Pomace laughed. “You and I can work on changing her mind. In the meantime, I suggest you be careful about how you see your lady. The Court will no doubt be trying to find her now.”
***********
Sona was eating breakfast with other servants when she learned the news.

“Did you hear?” her roommate Sandy said, giggling as she sat down next to her.

“I rarely hear anything,” Sona pointed out, glad she was already done with her meal so she wouldn’t have to sit through her roommate’s inane chatter. “I spend most of my day locked in a room with records.”

“Oh, lighten up,” Sandy said, unfazed by her peevishness. “It’s exciting news!”

“Then spit it out,” Sona snapped, standing up. “I have work to do.”

“The Court gave Prince Martin permission to marry anyone he wants!”

Sona froze.

“I know!” another servant girl giggled. “Isn’t it exciting? Any of us could marry him!”

An older woman snorted. “Really? I hear the only reason they gave him that permission was because someone had the bright idea that he might have a lover. I think he’s more likely to marry her than any of you.”

“But he said that they had broken up!” Sandy pouted. “He could pick any of us!”

“He’s more likely to pick a full figured noblewoman than one of us,” snapped another girl. “That’s all that men want.”

“Sona?”

Sona shook herself out of her freeze, realizing where she was. She felt herself pale as the women looked at her.

“Yes?” she asked, glad her voice didn’t quiver.

“Aren’t you working on Prince Martin’s records?” Sandy asked. There was a joyful glee in her face. “Did it say anything about a young lady friend? I heard rumors that he’s already slept with five different women.”

“Actually,” Sona said, feeling a lump grow in her throat. “He hasn’t been known to bed any woman.” Not with his scarred back.

“I’ve cleaned his rooms,” the older woman said. “There’s nothing that says he sleeps around. I think Sona’s right that he hasn’t slept with anyone.”

“But the rumors!”

“Are just rumors,” the woman snorted. “And the Court’s permission doesn’t mean squat to your work!”

“Speaking of work,” Sona said, faking a smile. “I’ve got to go do mine. See everyone later!”

Once she was out of sight, she ran for her private room. When she arrived, she slammed the door behind her, locking it.

“I’m going to kill him!” she muttered, feeling tears of frustration and anger. The stupid idiot had already broken her heart. He couldn’t do this to her! “I’m so going to kill him!”

“But that would be counter productive.”

Sona spun around, surprised to see Lady Pomace sitting at her desk, sipping at her tea. “My lady,” she said, curtsying to the old woman. “What are you doing here?”

“I assume you just heard the news,” Pomace said, ignoring her question. She took another sip. “Amazing what one can convince the Court when one knows how.”

Sona froze. “What are you talking about?” she asked softly, too afraid of the answer.

“A tragic love story,” Pomace said, smirking over her cup of tea. “A prince fell in love with a commoner. I had to do something.”

Sona felt the breath freeze in her chest. How did Lady Pomace find out? “We can’t be together,” she whispered. “He’s a noble…”

“And has lived as a commoner himself,” Pomace pointed out. She stood up, grabbing her cane to do so, and slowly walked to the door. “A simple thing people forget, I think. They see a prince but not the man. So many of our young woman are the same. All they see is a title and not the man.” She paused beside her, grabbing her arm. “Our prince is free to choose his bride and I can’t help but wonder just how far a woman would go to claim that prize when she loved him before his title.”

Sona couldn’t say anything, afraid that one slip of the tongue would ruin her. Pomace just smiled. She opened the door and paused again.

“Oh, you’ve been invited to Princess Sara’s birthday party tonight, haven’t you?”

Sona gave a small nod, too afraid to speak still.

“Then come,” Pomace said with a smile as she grabbed her arm. “We’ve got some dress shopping to do.”
**********
“I am not wearing that.”

“But Martin!” Sara protested, holding up the vile costume. “It suits you!” She held it up to him. It was anything but flattering. It looked almost like a bad joke. It might have been the height of fashion centuries before, but the large puffy sleeves and the over use of embroidery had thankfully gone out of fashion for men. To make matters worse, it was bright green and yellow.

“It’s a masquerade ball,” Sara said, dropping the costume over the arm of a chair. “Everyone is going to dress up.”

“A masquerade implies disguising one self,” he pointed out.

“And mom told you to be nice.”

Martin rolled his eyes, then watched as his sister put the costume back in a box full of them. He was a bit surprised that she had costume boxes in her room until she said that the servants had brought it in for them to decide what to wear. He glanced at the other four boxes, wistfully thinking of his own disguises hidden in his apartment. But the queen had told him that he couldn’t disguise himself beyond recognition and that Sara had a say in what he was going to wear. After all, it was her fifteenth birthday.

“Why not something simple?” he asked her as she pulled more costumes out. “Like an officer from another nation? Or a merchant?”

“Because masquerades are more fanciful than that,” Sara snorted, tossing one costume in another chair. “And I do want us to be matching.” Martin frowned in confusion.

“Why?”

She paused long enough to grin up at him. “Because I’ve never had a sibling to do those sort of things with before.” Flashing another grin, she dug deeper into the box. Martin stood there thoughtfully, realizing that she had a point. Neither of them had siblings before, so now they should be trying to do things together.

He was going to make sure they didn’t wear something as hideous as the first costume.

“I knew you had a secret.”

“Oh, no,” Martin groaned, pinching the bridge of his nose. Sara pulled out of the box, frowning at the person behind him.

“Who are you?” she asked.

Martin turned around and faced the newcomer. She was a woman of about his age. She leaned against the doorframe to the bedroom, eyeing him as if she enjoyed what she saw. Her red hair was pulled back as usual and she wore her long trench coat over her tight breeches and cotton shirt.

“I see you’re missing your bag,” he said none too kindly. Her grin widened.

“The guards took it from me,” she said. “I get it back when I leave.”

“And you are?” Sara asked again insistently, standing up.

“I’m sorry,” the woman said, bowing with a flourish. “I’m Ann Norman, reporter.”

“A rather nosy reporter,” Martin snorted. Ann flashed him with another grin along with a wink.

“I knew you had a secret,” she said again, eyeing him up and down again. “Prince, eh? I don’t see how you managed to keep that a secret for as long as you did.”

“I have my talents,” he replied blandly. “What are you doing here?”

“Doing a follow up story, of course,” she scoffed, pushing off the doorframe. “It was my utter surprise to arrive at your army to find out that you had already been gone for a week. I, of course, didn’t stay long enough with the men to find out that you had already told them about your nobility, so it was on the road when I found out that you are actually the missing Santer we’ve been spending the last couple of years to find. When I got back to Nacre, my publisher told me that I got the honor of interviewing you since we already know each other.”

“You know each other?” Sara asked, surprised as she switched her gaze between the two of them.

“Not willingly,” Martin grumbled.

Ann laughed. “I was sent on assignment from my publisher to interview Ghost Captain Eighty-One. Followed him for about a week trying to get the interview. Most adventurous week of my life.”

Martin snorted. “You nearly got killed. It wouldn’t have happened if you had just left me alone.”

“But you were such a mystery!” Ann laughed. “Never have I had to work so hard for a story! It was great, even with the almost dying!”

Martin groaned, slapping his forehead. “Normal people aren’t exciting about their lives being in danger.”

“They should,” Ann said, still grinning. “Especially with a famous Ghost Captain with you, ready to save you.”

“I’ve got to hear this story,” Sara said, quickly catching Ann’s contagious smile.

“Later,” Martin promised. “Right now, we’re picking costumes for your party, remember?”

“Right!” Sara said. She dove back into the boxes, costumes flying as she hurried to find the right costume.

“While she’s busy,” Ann said, slowly walking towards him. Martin stood still, not giving her the pleasure to see just how uncomfortable she made him. “I have some questions for you. You wouldn’t mind answering, would you?”

“Just like last time,” he grumbled, keeping his focus on Sara and not the approaching reporter. “Depends on the question.”

Ann chuckled. “So modest. Tell me, do you have a woman in mind who you’d like to marry? The Court gave you permission to marry anyone you’d like. Most everyone assumes you already have someone in mind.”

Martin controlled his expression, knowing that she could read nothing on it. He hadn’t had the chance to talk to Sona yet. He had tried to visit her in her office, but she wasn’t there. He would have searched for her, but Sara found him first and dragged him into her room. He had no idea if Sona knew yet or if she was just avoiding him because of the news.

“It’s too soon to say yet,” he said cryptically.

“Hum,” Ann hummed, stepping beside him. “So I’m guessing that you haven’t had a chance to talk to your lady.”

“He doesn’t have a lady,” Sara snorted, coming out of the box long enough to glare at the reporter. “As long as I’ve known my brother, he hasn’t shown interest in anyone.”

“So you’ve known your brother for some time,” Ann asked, quickly changing subject to get more information.

“A couple years now,” Sara confirmed, shaking her head at the costume she held up. She tossed it aside and picked another.

“Then you’ve known for a couple years now,” Ann said, a bit surprised.

“No,” Sara corrected, holding the costume up to him, then judged it unworthy and tossed it as well. “We met a couple years ago. I’ve only known he’s been my brother for about a year.”

“I myself have only known for a couple years,” Martin added. “I grew up never knowing who I was.”

“A tragic story,” Ann purred to herself, eyeing him again. “Perhaps I should extend this interview. Several sessions should do it.”

Martin rolled his eyes. He had been through one of Ann’s sessions before. While she might be trying to seduce him now, she would not be during the session. She would hound him with questions, attacking him with words instead of flirts. All she was interested in was the story. She almost reminded him of Sona.

Which was the reason why he didn’t like her so much.

“A few more questions then,” Ann was saying, “before I’m off to my next appointment. Martin Henry Alex Santer. I know where Henry came from, and Santer too. Where did Martin and Alex come into your name?”

Wouldn’t you love to know that, he thought, not willing to answer that question.

“Martin came from what people called him when he got to Mesa.” They turned around to find the queen standing in the door. Ann immediately bowed. “He’s been answering to Martin for most of his life. It didn’t seem right to start calling him Henry.”

“And Alex?” Ann asked, finally showing some respect. It only just occurred to Martin that Ann had been a bit obnoxious when she was talking to just him and his sister.

“A name Ghost General Fred Chief picked,” Abigail answered. “Chief was the one who’s been sort of a guardian to Martin. He even sponsored him into the Ghosts. It was a name they seriously considered naming him when they finally picked on Martin.”

Martin wanted to groan. Couldn’t they have come up with a better story?

“An average name for an average looking person,” Ann mused to herself. “Why did they decide on Martin?”

“Because I was smarter than the average kid,” he answered before his mother could. If they were going to lie about where his name came from, it was going to at least sound a bit more interesting. “So they named me after the smartest of the Seven Founders.”

“Still smarter than average,” Sara added, considering a green suit then tossing it aside as well. “How about this Martin? We go as two adventurers? I know you love adventure books.”

“You love adventure books?” Ann asked with a grin, latching onto the information.

“I’ve always liked adventure,” he answered. “Whether in books or in my own life. Keeps life entertaining. And yes, Sara, I think being a couple of adventurers would do the trick.”

“Done,” Sara laughed, standing up. “We’ll need some travel worn clothes. I’m sure you have plenty of those still.”

“Don’t forget your crowns though,” Abigail warned them. “I know it’s a masquerade, but you still need to be recognized as royalty.” She then sighed. “Speaking of crowns. I heard you didn’t wear one yesterday at Court, Martin. Where is it?”

Martin smirked. “Somewhere.” There was no possible way for it to be found.

Abigail sighed again. “I knew this was going to happen.” She snapped her fingers. A servant came from the other room, bowing as he gave her a small box. Martin felt his stomach drop at the sight of it. “I had several extras made,” Abigail said, opening the box and revealing the crown inside. Instead of a simple circlet, this one was thicker with a few jewels set in it.

“What happened to simple?” Martin asked, taking an unconscious step back.

“You got rid of simple,” Abigail chuckled. “I’ll warn you now. Each time you get rid of a crown, I’ll have you wear a more elaborate crown the next time.”

“That’s not fair,” he protested.

Abigail actually laughed. “I never said anything about fair with this game.”

“Game?” Ann asked, her interest peeked. “What sort of game?”

“I figured that my son wouldn’t want to wear a crown,” the queen answered, smirking. “So I figured that we’d play a game. He’d lose the crowns and I give him more.” She toyed with the new crown. “More elaborate crowns, that is.”

Martin finally groaned, dropping his head. Life used to be easy.
************
I couldn’t agree with my character more. Life used to be easy (especially before I hurt my back and have to type lying down to get anything written). If you remember a couple weeks back, I asked if I should introduce a reporter and here you meet her! I could have just as easily gone with Kyle Lancer or Ann Norman and Martin would still have problems with both of them. I just couldn’t pick between them. Thanks for tiebreaking it.

I should go and get some typing done before I go to the bookstore and get the last two books. Enjoy the journey!

No comments:

Post a Comment