What an exciting week it has been for me. I got a job offer, I learned that I got an A- in Nutritional Biochemistry (considered the hardest dietetic class there is), and I learned the dangers of reading. More of that in the conclusion. But to the story!
************
Sona called for a meeting. Luke thought it was about time too. It had been a week since they copied the decipher off of Var’s ankle and it was getting very close for Var’s meeting with his contact. It didn’t help matters that Martin disappeared during the lunch times, though he suspected that he knew where the prince was spending his time.
“She’s going to be mad at you,” Luke tried to point out as he, Martin, and Thomas made their way to Sona’s office. “You’re holding back the most vital piece of information about her search. She’s not going to easily forgive that.”
“Luke,” Martin said, rolling his eyes. “We’ve been over this. I will explain it to her, privately, before telling everyone else. And if it does turn out that she hates me afterwards, then she doesn’t need to worry about seeing me anymore, because I will step away.”
“So you say,” Luke snorted. “But what if…”
“Luke,” Thomas sighed. “You’ve beaten this subject to death now. I’m sure it’ll work out.”
“Oh?” Luke asked, turning the corner. “And what about your own relationship?”
Thomas sighed again. “The queen said that I’ll have to work that out with Kriste…”The duke stopped short, paling as he realized who he had just said. Luke froze mid step, staring at the duke.
“My sister?” he had trouble to say, his mind whirling. “My twin sister? She’s the one you’re courting?” Thomas didn’t say anything, too scared to reveal anymore.
“And she knows about his family,” Martin added, smirking.
“Bah!” Luke said, throwing his arms into the air. “What is with the romance all of a sudden?”
“We’re growing up,” Martin pointed out. “Just because you refuse to grow up doesn’t mean that the rest of us have that same pleasure.” Luke glared at his friend. The prince did have a point.
“Let’s go to the meeting,” Luke muttered, trying to save face. It was bad enough that he had sworn to keep Martin’s identity a secret. But learning that his friends were busy moving on with their lives was even worse. While he sometimes thought he would like to settle down with a wife and steady spying job, he didn’t think now was the time. There was so much to live for right now that being tied down just did not fit in with his plans.
Sona was impatiently waiting for them and quickly ushering them into her office, even with only a swift kiss on Martin’s cheek. Luke raised an eyebrow; she must be excited. Normally they wouldn’t show their affection in the open. A pair of lovers, while not uncommon at the mansion, were noted and gossiped about. Both Martin and Sona had a reputation of not-interested to live up to.
“What is it?” Thomas asked, sitting down in his customary chair.
“Frustrating,” she said, rolling her eyes. Walking to her desk, she picked up a stack of papers and gave a paper to each of them. Luke immediately recognized what it was. Var’s coded letters.
“I hate to say this,” Sona sighed, sitting down in her chair. “But Var is innocent.”
Luke wasn’t the only one who frowned in confusion.
“Innocent?” Martin asked, finally sitting down himself. “How is he innocent?”
“I’ve decoded a total of ten letters,” she explained, pointing to the papers she gave them. “Five of them he had written and the other five from someone signed Merry Hunting.” She held up one letter. “Var says in his first letter: ‘I cannot be part of your organization any longer. Our ties are cut. They have been cut since you killed that innocent girl. I will not be part of your bloodshed any longer. I’ve left for Aeterna to live my life out as a glassmith, like I was sent there to do. Now leave me alone.’”
She sighed, dropping the letter. “They argue throughout the entire correspondence. Hunting tries to convince Var to return to the organization and spy on those here at the mansion, while Var keeps telling Hunting to back off.”
“Are you sure you translated it right?” Luke asked, quickly reading through the letter she gave him, one that Merry Hunting had wrote. “You said it was a difficult code to begin with…”
“I translated all the letters three times,” Sona groaned. “There’s no mistake about it.”
“What if it is a reverse code?” Thomas asked, looking up from his letter. “You know, they write the opposite of what they’re trying to say in their letters to throw off anyone who intercepts the letters?”
“I don’t think so,” Martin said, frowning as he read his letter. “Hunting asks questions about what’s happening at the mansion and all Var does is tell him to back off.”
“What about the conversation you overheard?” Luke pointed out. “It sounded pretty condemning to me.”
Martin shook his head, dropping the letter in his lap. “I thought that at first, but… Var didn’t ask for more time to get the information. Any spy who hasn’t completed their job always asks for more time. And besides, we know Var’s been spying on me, but when he talked to the contract, all he said about me was that I was Sona’s friend.”
“Great,” Luke grumbled, slumping in his chair. “All that time watching him… Wasted!”
“I wouldn’t say that,” Sona pointed out. “I’ve been able to pinpoint that Merry Hunting is a Venter agent, and I suspect that he is Var’s contact here.”
“We also know that Var will be meeting with Hunting again,” Martin added. “Sometime today, if I’m right. We just need to keep track of Var until he leads us to the real spy.”
“And where is he now?” Thomas asked.
“With his current girl,” Luke sighed. “I had to take up her cleaning duty so she could be with him for lunch.”
“Good,” Sona said, nodding sharply. “Our time on Var has not been wasted. Let’s capture the real spy.”
“You stay here,” Martin said as he stood up. “It’d look suspicious if you start wandering around the men’s tents.”
Sona had already been half way out of her chair when she sat down with a sigh. “You’re right,” she grumbled. She looked up with concern. “Just be careful, alright?”
Martin flashed a smile. “I should be. I’ve got two of the best spies with me.” They all laughed and they left her office.
“Where do you think he might be?” Thomas asked. The three of them walked fast in the direction Martin led.
“Our tent,” he said bitterly. “That’s where he’s been taking the girls.”
“Your kidding,” Luke said, stunned. “It’s a shared tent.”
“I know.”
They entered the camp and were busy talking about how they were going to track Var and how to capture his contract when Martin suddenly pulled short. Luke and Thomas were already a tent down from him when they noticed he wasn’t with them. Turning around, they saw him stopped, glaring at his feet.
“Martin?” Thomas asked, walking back. “What’s wrong?”
“I don’t know,” the Alex grumbled, acting as if he were trying to yank his feet off the ground. “I can’t move!”
“What?” Luke asked, also walking back. “What do you mean you can’t move?”
“It’s the powers,” Martin snapped, finally able to take a step back. Determined, he tried to walk forward again but could not get past the spot where he got stuck. “This doesn’t make sense,” he said, stepping back again. “The power has never stopped me from moving.”
Luke exchanged worried glances with Thomas. They had seen first hand a part of the power Martin held, but seeing it done again made both of them nervous. Luke had his doubts about the prince’s claim about having control of his powers. “Has the power done anything else like this?”
“Once,” Martin admitted. “It had taken me to the meeting Var had with his contact. Why do you ask?”
“Well,” Luke said slowly, not sure if he was getting at something. “What if… What if the powers are trying to tell you something?”
“What could it possibly be trying to tell him?” Thomas asked, waving to their surroundings. “That he should go back to Sona’s office?”
“No,” Martin said, his face paling as it dawned on him. “I would have been forced back. This is stopping me from going forward. Keep quiet a minute. I’m going to try…” He closed his eyes and took a deep breath. Luke stayed silent, knowing exactly what the Alex was doing. He was meditating to focus his energy and thoughts. It was how Martin had discovered his ability to feel the emotions of those around him. Perhaps he was trying to find another power? One that would tell him why the powers were stopping him in his tracks?
“Oh, no,” Martin whispered, opening his eyes. Carefully, he crept forward, finally able to move beyond the spot.
“What is it?” Thomas said, matching the Alex’s quiet tone and careful pace.
“Someone is here who shouldn’t be.”
“What’s that supposed to mean?”
Martin came to the end of the row of tents, barely checking around the corner. “It’s Tracker.”
************
When he had opened himself up to the emotions around him, he found what he had been expecting, the same feelings the people had since he arrived. But there had to have been a reason why the powers made him stop. The only logical reason was that it hadn’t wanted him to move forward. Did it mean danger ahead? He had to focus on the heartbeats of those around him. He had felt Thomas and Luke, their concern for him hitting his conscious. And then there was something… wrong. Taking a deep breath, he focused on the wrongness, wondering what it could be.
Without warning he was suddenly in another’s mind. Just as he had seen into Jathier’s mind that winter. Only this time, it wasn’t a memory he was reliving. It was actually happening.
“I don’t care what Var said,” the man who’s eyes he was seeing through. “He knows something.” The man turned his head, showing him three other men and a woman who walked with him. They were approaching his tent. The man turned to the woman. She was wearing a servant’s dress.
“Are you sure that Jordan would get everyone here?” he asked her.
The girl, a plump young woman with golden curls, tossed her head indignantly. “Of course I’m sure. I’ve got the farm boy wrapped around my finger. He would jump through fire for me. He’ll have his tent mates there.”
The man chuckled, thoughts of ruin and destruction filling his thoughts. “Good. Let’s give them a rude greeting.” He pulled the canvas tent door aside, revealing his tent mates standing in the center of the tent, arguing with Jordan. Var paled with fear as he saw who opened the door.
“Tracker,” he whispered.
Martin pulled back into his own mind, reeling a bit. “Oh, no,” he whispered. With the knowledge of the danger ahead, he was able to creep forward, not daring to move any faster.
“What is it?” Thomas asked, reaching him.
“Someone is here who shouldn’t be.”
“What’s that supposed to mean?”
Martin looked around the corner of a tent, watching as his three tent mates were physically forced out of their tent, struggling as the three other men held them fast. Jordan was openly weeping as he realized that the woman who he fell in love with was actually a Venter spy. “It’s Tracker.”
“Tracker?” Luke whispered, also looking around the corner. “Are you sure?”
“That man with the dark hair,” Martin said, nodding to the average sized man. “That’s him. I saw him at the Stand this winter. There’s no mistake. That’s Tracker.”
“Hiethery,” Luke swore, watching as the men dragged his tent mates away. “What are we going to do?”
“They can’t escape through the gates,” Thomas said, flinching as Calvin was punched in the gut and a gag forced into his mouth. “There’s got to be another way…”
“They can’t escape during the daylight either,” Martin said. “Someone would spot them. I’d bet anything that they’ll hide on the mansion grounds until its safe to move.”
“But what’s their motive?” Luke asked, pulling back around the corner.
“Get information,” Martin suggested. “Var wasn’t willing to give it and security has been tight.”
“We’ve got to do something,” Thomas said urgently. “Can we take them?”
“Perhaps,” Martin sighed. “But I don’t want to risk it. Let’s go to the commander of the guards. If we give him the information, he’s sure to search the grounds.”
“Finally,” Luke said, grinning. “You’re finally letting someone else do the work! Come on, I know where the commander is.”
They rushed through the mansion to get to Commander Bentley’s office. It was found above the stables and stank of hey and horse manure. He was an older man, in his late sixties, with graying hair and a look of annoyance etched in the lines of his face. He looked up briefly from his paperwork as they were grated entrance.
“Luke Ander is it?” he asked, squinting through his spectacles at the tall spy. “Commander Petra’s cousin. What is it?”
“Sir,” Luke said, saluting. “I’ve come to report that there are unfriendly persons on the estate grounds and intend harm to our listed men.”
“Proof?” the commander asked lazily.
“We’ve seen Var Bontaren, Calvin Armour, and Jordan the farmer taken by…”
Bentley snorted, collapsing in his chair. “You’ve got to be kidding me.”
Luke stepped back, shocked. “Sir?”
“I’ve gotten this prank before,” the commander growled. “Servants paid by others to come to me and tell me someone is missing. I’ve already wasted my recourses on these pranks. I’ve had enough of it.”
“But sir,” Martin tried to explain when the commander pounded the desk, sending the papers he was working on flying through the air.
“I told you!” he snapped, shooting to his feet. “I’ve had enough! Oh, yes, I know about you, Ghost. I’ve heard about what a hero you’ve been. But you listen to me, upshot, I. Won’t. Listen. Be a hero on your own time. Not on mine. Understood?”
Martin stared at the man, shocked that the commander would be so angry. “But sir!”
“No,” the commander snapped. He angrily pointed to the door. “Out! Before I have you thrown out!”
Luke and Thomas looked ready to argue when Martin motioned them to keep quiet. The commander’s emotions were high. Anger, frustration, but mostly, exhaustion. The poor man was near the end of his wits. “Let’s go,” he said, turning to leave.
“But Martin!” Thomas tried to argue but the words died on his tongue as Martin glared at him.
“Now.”
Without asking why, they left the commander’s office, going down to the stables.
“We can’t convince him,” Martin told them before they could ask. “He’s not willing to listen.”
“Then what do you suggest?” Luke asked, looking angry.
“We can go to the queen,” Martin pointed out. “She’ll listen to us.”
“But she isn’t here,” Thomas said. Martin and Luke frowned, turning to the duke.
“She isn’t here?” Martin asked. “Why not?”
“Because the surrounding nobility have been complaining,” Thomas explained, rolling his eyes. “She’s spent too much time here. She and Lord Grelend left early this morning for a short week trip around the other estates. I thought you knew.”
“She didn’t mention it to any of us,” Luke said, looking worried.
Martin started to pace. This was not going well. The queen was out of the mansion, the commander of the guards at his wits end, and Venter’s top spy had kidnapped his tent mates. He felt the need to do something; he couldn’t stand by and let these things happen.
“Alright,” he said, spinning around to his friends. “We’ve got to save Jordan and the others.”
“We?” Luke repeated, digging his finger in his ear. “And here I thought you were going to step away from the danger…”
“I stepped away because I thought someone else would step up,” Martin pointed out. “Now we’ve got to act. Thomas. Do you still have the stealth uniforms Suit gave us for just in case?”
“Of course,” the duke replied.
“It’s time for just in case.” Thomas nodded, knowing that arguing was pointless. He had a plan and it was time to act. The duke practically ran out of there, leaving Martin with Luke.
“Is this a good idea?” Luke asked, fidgeting. “You’re putting yourself in danger… Have you ever really come against Tracker? You know the man is ruthless.”
Martin wanted to scowl; leave it to Luke to point out what he already knew. But they didn’t have much choice; they had to save his tent mates. He had to convince his friend they had to do this. “I haven’t actually fought with him,” he admitted. “But I know enough about Tracker to know to be careful. I won’t get caught.” He had to take a deep breath, reluctant to say what he had to. “Even if it means I have to use my powers to get away.”
Luke froze, staring at him in disbelief. “You mean… You’d reveal yourself to get away?”
Martin tried to smile. “If I have to.”
Luke didn’t say anything for a moment, staring at him as if looking for the truth in what he said. “Alright,” he said, nodding firmly. “We’ll do it. What do you need from me?”
“Get as many weapons as you can for the three of us,” Martin ordered. “Bows, arrows, knives. Get any of your poisons that are ready to use. I think we’ll need them.”
“Right,” Luke agreed, turning to go. He paused and turned back. “And what will you be doing?”
“I’m going to tell Sona to go after the queen,” he said. “The queen will listen to us. But since she isn’t here, we need to go send for her. Sona’s the best chance we have of getting to the queen.”
“Good,” Luke chuckled. “Send your girlfriend out of danger. She’ll love you!”
Martin felt himself go red in the face. “Get going!” he ordered, pointing. Luke laughed as he ran to get his things. Martin ran after him, quickly parting paths as they entered the mansion. Luke headed for the quest quarters while he ran for the researcher’s office. He found her sitting at her desk, working on something. She looked up in surprise as he threw the door open.
“Martin?” she started to ask.
“Sona, I need you to go get the queen.”
She frowned. “Why?”
“Tracker is here.”
The pretty researcher paled. “Tracker?” she repeated, fear in her voice. “He’s here?”
“Yes,” Martin said, itching to run back out. “And the commander of the guards won’t listen to us. The queen is out…”
“I can get out of the mansion,” Sona finished for him, already out of her chair and walking out. “Give me a summary of what I should tell the queen.”
Martin silently blessed that Sona wasn’t as teasing as Luke. “Tell her that Tracker is on the estate grounds and he’s kidnapped my tent mates. Luke, Thomas, and I are going to try to go after them.”
“Alright,” she nodded. She glanced briefly out into the hall to make sure no one was there. Taking a step up to him, she gave him a swift kiss. “Be safe.” Before he could tell her he would try, she was gone. Martin blessed her again. She knew the need for action better than most.
Racing back through the mansion, he found his friends at Thomas’s guest quarters. Thomas and Luke had already put on their stealth uniforms, black loose fitting clothing with matching black mask. They were busy strapping on throwing knives as he burst in and shut the door.
“Great timing,” Luke said, tossing his uniform at him. “We’re about ready.”
“Though we are a bit curious,” Thomas said as Martin ducked behind a changing screen and started changing into the uniform. “How are we going to find them? Tracker is known for covering his tracks…”
“I know,” Martin sighed, pulling the uniform shirt over his head. “But I can find them.”
“Using your powers?”
Martin came out from behind the screen, accepting the knives from Luke. “I was able to feel Tracker earlier,” he explained, strapping the blades on his legs. “I doubt I could forget such a vile mind.”
“Wait,” Luke said, pausing as he pulled out a poison kit. “You were inside Tracker’s head?”
“It’s not the best place to spend any extended amount of time.”
“But,” Thomas said, picking up a spear, his favorite weapon. “You can still find him?”
Martin took a deep breath, opening himself up to the emotions around him. The wrongness that he felt in Tracker was still inside the estate walls, motionless for now. “Let’s go,” he said, pulling the door open.
************
Tee, hee, hee. Aren’t cliffhangers fun? (unless it’s another book you’re reading and the author takes five years to write the next book. Humph! No I’m not miffed at all about Green Rider! NO!) At least you only have to wait a week until the next bit. But that’s next week’s post. Now, if you’ll forgive me, I’d like to elaborate the dangers of reading.
Reading is a dangerous pastime for me. I know that sounds a bit strange, especially when one considers how I write for fun, but it’s still true. Unlike other “normal” people, I have a very difficult time putting a book down until I’m done reading it; it is not uncommon for me to read until one or two in the morning with a good book. It’s even worse with series. I started the Belgariad series Sunday night and finished all five books by Wednesday morning (1:30 in the morning). I’ve this compulsiveness need to read when I pick up a book.
And then what’s worse! I get story ideas as I’m reading. It’s only started happening in the last couple of years, when I started to seriously write. But now, even while I’m enjoying the book, my mind is inflamed with this new idea! (At least, until the next story idea hits). The Belgariad story produced two. One idea I’m sure I could fit in a short story, so I won’t elaborate on it, but the second idea…. That one has a lot of potential. Here’s the gist: The prophesied hero fulfills his destiny, and then vanishes.
Pause. I hear groans… Another distraction from Martin’s story? I’d like to put this to rest. Martin still inflames my imagination, but when I finished the Secret’s Captive last week, I realized that I was finally working on the last book. This journey Martin has taken me on for the last ten years is coming to a close. It may be a couple of years before I get to the close, but I see it coming. I’m not sure how I feel about that….
So, with the ending now visible to me, I have started a new file, called Story Ideas. This file will contain all the story ideas I come up with. I’ll write a bit about the various story ideas that come to me, then let it sit in that file as I continue to write Martin’s story.
There is a point I’m getting to. I’m trying to decide what I’ll write after the Aeterna’s Heir. At first, I thought I’d work on The Runaways (the first Renewal Spell in Aeterna, in case you were wondering), but then Fiction Riders intrigued me (authors literally enter their books), then the Dawmeria Soul caught my attention, after that was Racer, and now A Hero’s Wish (the one mentioned above). Oh, and I almost forgot about The Child From Loman, Martin’s story about his street days. Sigh! Sooo many ideas…. Little time….
My point. While I consider this problem of what to write next, I want you to be aware of these other story ideas. I’m probably going to post them on this blog for reaction to the ideas. Comment on them if you want, or just roll your eyes, I don’t care. Just throwing them out there. They’re going to be sitting in my Story Ideas file until I finally decide what to do with them.
Whew! I’m glad I got that out. Now you’ll understand why I’m posting story ideas that aren’t part of my current series and you won’t be so concerned about them.
Merry Christmas everyone! Enjoy the journey!
No comments:
Post a Comment