*******This has been cut out of the story. Read if you like or skip it*********
It's been a long time, and I appologize. But in the week since school started, I've gotten a lot more written. Review: Martin has managed to destroy the poison, and Tracker has been introduced. Now, on with the story!
***********
Martin watched as General Terk and his Tracker escaped through a side entrance. Good riddance, he snorted, though disappointed that General Sanders hadn’t come in time to capture them. Beside him, Peter was cheering loudly.
“We won!” he yelled, giving him a slap on the back. “We’re got those Venterians on the run!”
“Sure,” Martin muttered so the captain wouldn’t hear him. “Go on and believe that.” The spy knew General Terk. The mad man could have defended the fort and won it. No, he had left because this place was no longer useful for him. They have the formula. That could be the only reason why Terk had victory written across his face as he galloped away.
“Why are you so glum?” Peter asked, waving up at the other fort guards cheering on the battlement. “We’ve taken back the fort and destroyed the poison! And best yet! We’re still alive!”
“You have no idea how close to death you came,” Martin said quietly. Peter frowned.
“What do you mean? They didn’t even put up a fight.”
Martin continued to stare at the gate which Tracker left. It was his first real glimpse at his rival in the spying world, though the fire light couldn’t quite illuminate him enough for Martin to easily pick the man out the next time they met, but they did meet gazes. Tracker’s grey eyes were full of hate and rage, he was someone who despised the world and vowed to make everyone pay.
“I’m surprised Terk saved our lives,” he said, finally turning away from the gate. “Tracker was of mind to kill us.”
Peter paled and began to tremble. “Tracker?” he stuttered. “Do you mean…” He couldn’t finish his question.
“My equal in the spying world?” Martin finished for him. “Yes. Tracker was going to kill us both.” Martin couldn’t worry about it though, gazing around at the chaos he created. Healer Hanna would be after him for destroying the lawn.
“What happened?”
Turning around, Martin saw the healer herself, followed by many of her fellows. Sona’s part of the plan was to free the healers in case there were causalities. The research spy walked along with Hanna, trying to hide her grin. Martin quickly looked away. She liked him?
“What happened?” Hanna asked again, shocked at the destruction. She turned to him. “Young man…” she said darkly. “What trouble did you manage this time?”
“Oh,” Martin tried to laugh off, “just doing my job.”
Hanna threw her arms up in the air. “Ugh! You’re too much trouble!” With a spryness he did not expect, the healer dashed to him and began pounding her finger on his chest. “You’ve better got to help us clean this up or else!”
Martin looked around at the surprised faces. There were very few people who could upset the head healer in any way. He felt his face burn with embarrassment to see Sona’s amused expression.
The healer grabbed his shirt collar and shook his attention back to her. “Well?” she demanded. “Are you going to help?”
The spy sighed. “Yes. I caused this mess. I’ll clean it up.”
*********
Several people had volunteered to help him clean up the mass of burned boxes, including soldiers from General Sanders’ camp, which had taken up defensive positions outside the fort. Martin was grateful for the help. It took less than a day to clear the debris away, when if he alone had done it would have taken at least a week. Watching as the last cart rode off with the last of black timber, the spy wiped the sweat from his brow, glad he was done. The fort’s gardeners refused to let him work on replanting the grass.
“Good riddance,” Hanna said behind him. Turning around, he saw the head healer and Sona survey the lawn. Martin sighed. What had Sona told the healer? After he had been punished to clean up, the research spy had taken it upon herself to tell Hanna about how the bonfire had happened. He couldn’t help wondering if she had embellished his heroics of the mission, knowing that she liked him.
“What a horrible tactic,” Hanna spat. “Using one’s own memories as torture.” She snorted, folding her arms tightly. “I’ll have my researchers begin immediately to find any antidote.”
“I destroyed all the poison,” he pointed out. The healer waved his comment away.
“He used our wounded,” she rebutted. “There would be poison still in the soldiers they used. Sona told me you saw them administer it, correct?”
Martin tried to give the research spy a pained look, but seeing her sly smile made him look away, his face burning. “Yes,” he muttered, unsure why he couldn’t look Sona in the eye.
“Then take me to him,” Hanna said, grabbing his arm and leading him to the main building. “We’ve got to get started on the antidote!” Martin sighed, resigning himself to the task.
“This isn’t hard to do, Alex,” Sona said as she joined them. “No need to look sour.”
Martin somehow managed to smile. That’s what you think. He wasn’t sure how to approach this man. He had seen into his mind, he had felt his pain. “The second floor,” he told Hanna, finally regaining his arm back from her grip. They walked up the stairs in silence.
“I’m sorry,” Hanna said when they reached the top of the stairs. Martin just shrugged, not needing to ask what she was sorry for. She was a gentle person and rarely got upset, but he was one of the few who could bring out her temper.
“I destroyed your courtyard.”
“But you did it to destroy the poison.” The healer sighed deeply, looking around the hall with loving eyes. “I love to help people. I’ve seen what horrors we humans inflict on ourselves. They come from all walks of life, from all ages, from all races. I see the hate through those who come. But I hold nothing back to help them.” She laughed weakly. “Not that you don’t already know that.” Martin said nothing. Yes, he did know. She was the one who cared for him when he first arrived, even when he refused any help. She and Fred worked hard to teach him that not everyone hated him.
“And now I see that you’re from the same cloth as me,” she said, patting his arm. “You’ll go through anything to help others.” He gave her a skeptical glance. “I know you don’t believe it now, but you will eventually.”
Martin sighed. Hanna had always seen so much in him, she saw so much good in everyone. He rubbed his wrist again. It had stopped stinging, but he remembered the pain. “His ward is right there,” he said, pointing to the door to their right. The healer smiled at him again before opening the door and walking in. Beside him, Sona also patted his arm, smiling, though her eyes questioned. He just shook his head. He was not ready to answer those questions.
Inside, the man was still in bed, moaning in his sleep. Martin’s hand jerked when he glanced at the soldier’s own missing one. He hid the spasm by pretending to scratch his arm. Hanna sat softly down on the bed and shook the soldier’s shoulder. “Sean,” she said gently. The man woke up with a sharp breath and wide, terrified eyes, a look that Martin was too familiar with. Sean sat up and looked around frantically, breathing hard.
“Sean,” Hanna repeated, running her hand soothingly across the man’s brow. “It’s alright. You’re safe.” Tears sprung from the man’s eyes.
“I still dream of it!” he cried, laying back down. “I still dream of my hand being taken!” He lifted up his arm, exposing the stub for them to see. “I felt it being taken again and again!”
“I know.” Hanna laid a gentle hand on the arm and pushed it down. “I’ve been told of the poison they used on you. But they’re gone now. And the poison too. You won’t have to go through that trial again.”
Sean nodded, the terror in his eyes calming down. He sighed deeply, then noticed the two spies standing at the foot of his bed. Giving Sona only a passing glance, he stared at Martin. The spy didn’t squirm under the sanction, but oh! How he wished he could.
“I know you,” Sean said, using his one hand to point at him. “Somewhere. I know you.”
Martin smiled weakly. It could have been possible, his work had taken him all over Aeterna; he had met several people who saw him “somewhere.” However, this man could also be different. Martin had invaded this man’s mind, not purposefully and most certainly unwillingly, but still, they shared a scarring memory. A memory that took the soldier’s hand.
“You know my pain,” Sean suddenly said when he didn’t answer. “Don’t you?”
It took all of Martin’s control to not gasp in horrid shock.
“You have that look,” the soldier went on. “The look of being hurt. What did they take from you?” He smiled feebly. “Not a hand I hope?”
Martin finally let out a quiet laugh, though he was sure it came out like a sob. “No,” he answered, shaking his head. “Not a hand.” He paused, looking up. There was a window at the head of the bed, and in it he saw the reflection of the top of Hanna’s head. Sona’s reflection was also there, she stood with her arms folded, watching curiously at what was happening. But where he stood, he saw strait through. He remembered the last time he saw his reflection, arguing with the wrong one. He remembered the words his own voiced told him.
It’s time to create your own image. Just remember, Martin Santer, this is what you wanted.
No, he did not want this, to be left without a reflection. No, he did not want to question who he was and what he was to do. He didn’t want any of this.
The man spoke of his own physical pain, and Martin remembered the painful memories that he was forced to relive as he worked with the poison. But now, he knew as he stared at the window outside, that the pain the man was asking about wasn’t what he had endured on the streets or the ridicule he met, but rather what was taken to make him no longer whole.
They took my face, Martin finally admitted. They took my life.
********
Sona watched quietly on as Sean questioned Martin. They were such strange questions. Knowing his pain? Having something taken? She watched the Alex carefully, though knowing she would gain nothing from his stony expression. She glanced briefly at the window he chose as a focus point, was there something outside? However, before she could see past his reflection, he finally spoke.
“My childhood,” he finally answered, looking down to the wounded soldier. “My childhood was taken from me.”
His childhood? It was not the answer Sona had been expecting. She thought back to his locked file and Hanna’s subdued refusal to let her see it. Obviously Hanna knew the contents and agreed to its removal from records. Perhaps what Martin was referring to was in that locked file. She wanted to be angry that she couldn’t be trusted with the information, but at the same time, she wondered if she should be glad they locked it away.
“Who took it from you?” Sean asked, frowning. Sona jumped, surprised by the question, though she too wanted the answer.
Martin laughed. “Those who thought an orphan couldn’t amount to anything.”
“I thought you’d amount to anything you put your mind to,” Hanna said sternly. She turned back to the soldier. “I need your permission to take some of your blood. The poison is most likely still inside you and we need a sample to create an antidote in case Terk tries making it again.”
“There’s no more of it?” Sean asked, grinning.
“That’s what that bonfire was last night,” Hanna said, throwing another stern glance at Martin. Though she had apologized for yelling at him, the healer still blamed him for the mess. “Do we have your permission?”
Sean held out his arm still with a hand. “Take as much as you need!” Hanna laughed, standing and walking over to a cabinet will vials. She paused beside them.
“You two can go,” she smiled. “Thank you.”
Martin bowed slightly and walked from the room. Sona returned the healer’s smile before following after him, still thinking over what she had just witnessed.
It was evident that Martin wasn’t comfortable talking with the wounded soldier and his cryptic answers only raised more questions in her mind. What was he so desperately trying to hide? In the years she had known him, and since she had begun to notice him romantically, this was the first she had seen him at ill-ease. Even as she gazed at him now, she could tell he was truly disturbed.
“Do you want to talk about it now?” she asked, knowing there was no need to tell him what “it” was. Martin paused, sighing deeply, then turned to her.
“No,” he answered with a weak smile. “I doubt I’ll ever be ready.”
Before she could argue about it, someone walked up the steps. The someone was not a person she had not been expecting to see.
“Well,” Suit said as he reached the top and found them standing there. “I shouldn’t have been surprised by the damage outside, now that I know you’re here.”
The expression on Martin’s face could have been comical, as he tried for the innocent-but-still-caught look, but to her, she could still see the pain in his eyes. “Well,” the Alex said through his not so innocent grin, “I didn’t have many options.”
Suit sighed, looking at his former apprentice. “Chief was right about you,” he grudgingly admitted. “If you don’t have anything to do, you’ll find it. And something usually ends up destroyed.” The spy master shook his head. “I’ve talked with General Sanders. I’ll be sending back his original spy and take you back under my command.”
“Great,” Martin muttered. “Going to have me head strait back for the Tree?”
“No,” Suit shook his head. “Chief was right. You need something to keep your mind busy. I’m assigning you to Evan’s Stand.”
Martin perked up, a half easy smile forming. “Really?”
“I might regret it, but if I’m going to keep you from doing something drastic again, I’ve got to send you somewhere that you’re not likely to get bored.” Sona wanted to frown. The sea port was a known thieves nest. How was that going to keep Martin out of trouble?
“But now that I have my wayward Alex back on track, I’ll get to the business I came here to do.” Suit held out a folder to her. Surprised, she took the folder.
“What’s this?”
“It’s Martin’s locked file,” Suit replied. “I realized after you left that you’d have problems getting to it.” Sona was shocked and looked down at the file she was sure she was never getting her hands on.
“Sir!” Martin stepped forward, his expression far more troubled than before. “You know why my records were locked up!”
“I know,” Suit sighed. “But, you’re on the list, Martin. If we’re to find the prince, we’ve got to search all possible records, including your recovery. And you can’t dispute this. You’ve always wanted to know who your family was.”
Martin turned his head aside at the accurate comment, his face ashamed. Sona was a bit numb by the sudden turn of events. She had honestly not expected to delve deep into his past. She looked down at the folder, noticing how thick it really was. Much thicker than any recovery folder should have been.
“When you read it,” Martin suddenly said, grasping her attention as if he had grabbed her arm, “I just ask that you don’t start talking about it with anyone.”
She gazed at him, though he refused to look her in the eye. He was resigned to the fact that she was going to uncover one of his darkest secrets, something he had so carefully hidden from the world. She doubted even Thomas or Luke knew what was found in this folder.
Emotions snapped at her then. She longed to know the information now in her fingers, but… I also want Martin to see me as a friend… She sighed. There didn’t seem to be any middle ground in this situation.
“I’m sorry, Sir,” she said, handing the folder back to Suit. “But Martin’s already told me there’s nothing of use in there.” Martin’s head snapped up, staring at her with surprise… and a bit of uncertainty.
“Did he now?” Suit asked, slowly taking back the folder. “Well, he might be right about that. Besides,” he stared down at the folder in his hands. “This is a difficult read. I even had trouble…” He shivered. Suddenly, Sona was glad she returned the folder. If it made the Spy Master shutter… “I’ll make sure this gets locked up.” He turned to go, but gave Martin a stern stare. “And you’d better thank her for passing this up. Meet me down in courtyard when you’re done.” Nodding to them, he left back down the stairs he came.
There was an awkward silence after the Spy Master left. “Well,” she started to say when Martin said “I…” Both stopped, staring at each other. Finally, Martin chuckled, shaking his head.
“Thank you,” he said, rubbing the back of his neck. “Thank you for not reading it.”
She smiled, blushing despite herself. “It was locked up for a reason.” Suddenly she laughed. “But that doesn’t mean I won’t get the information I want.”
Martin frowned, the uncertainty creeping back into his eyes. “What’s that supposed to mean?”
She laughed and stepped up to him. He took a step back, only to find himself between her and the wall. The panic in his eyes made her chuckle. She tapped his hard chest, causing him to blush. “I’ll get the story out of your own mouth, Martin. Be prepared for it.”
“Uh,” he croaked, pushing her hand away. “Suit wants me! Ex—excuse me!” He stumbled his first step then flew down the stairs. Sona watched him go, wanting to laugh again. Only a matter of time before he saw a challenge in her!
********
Martin breathed a sigh of relief as Fort Mesa finally disappeared from his view. After he had gotten his instructions from Suit about what he could and couldn’t do at Evan’s Stand, he packed his things and left. But not before Sona cornered him again. She only said her good byes, but the look in her eyes was full of determination that matched his own.
“She is very persistent,” he muttered, not entirely sure how he was going to deal with the pretty research spy. Absently, he rubbed the spot she poked, trying to sort his feelings. He had no time for romance; he had his reflection he had to get… somehow.
And if I’m the prince? The evidence was heaping against him. He could sense the emotions of others. His dreams reflected the real world. He had no reflection…
But it could also mean I can use magic, a part of him argued, the part that still didn’t believe he could be the prince. There were plenty of magicians who could use their magic to read emotions and enter a parallel world. True, he might be late in age for finally displaying his powers, but it was known to happen.
Ah, pointed out the other part, but these powers didn’t show up until after the Inhibitor was disabled. And there were also those visions he had before…
Martin shook his head hard. This debating with himself was getting him nowhere. He glance back in the direction where Fort Mesa stood, thinking about the pretty research spy pouring over the records.
“I’m sorry, Sona,” he whispered, knowing she couldn’t hear him. “I don’t know what to do.” Sighing, he commanded his horse to go faster.
************
Oh, things have gotten awkward. But enough of that and on to the next adventure! Next post: Evan's Stand.
No comments:
Post a Comment